It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stahlhelm M18 by Quist
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:34 pm 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

In the late 80's / early 90's I bought this Stahlhelm for the princely sum of 150 guilders, equivalent to just less than 70 euros. Armed with the knowledge from the French Militaria Magazine I recognised the 1918 model and the Abnahme-Kommando stamp, and I remember I was a bit disappointed by it being an M18 rather than M16. The dealer said he would provide the chin-strap later, however that didn't materialise (and I didn't really think that it would either, although at the time I didn't know how rare these chin-straps are).

Looking back, with today's knowledge, I realise the dealer could have easily sold me a Norwegian / Afghan / ??? refurbished Stahlhelm and I wouldn't have been the wiser as long as the refurbished liner would have looked even slightly like the original liner. Luck rather than skill :-"

The paint has turned brown in some spots, the colour is closest to the actual colour in the pictures from the inside (for some reason the pictures from the outside turned out out of focus).

Best regards, Lars

Inside

Liner

Wearer's name

Maker's mark Q66

Steel lot number in dome

Top view

Post subject: Re: Stahlhelm M18 by Quist
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:48 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Very nice, I have an M'18 that I purchased years ago ($12 USD) that some one painted green using automotive paint. I picked up because, although it had no liner, it had the original liner's band and wasn't a transitional 3R helmet.

A friend and fellow collector has an M'18 transitional that has regimental stamping on the inside of the front visor (I get a chance I'll take photos). Has any else seen or have a steel helmet regimentally marked?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Nice helmet :thumb up:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:27 pm 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

According to the Stahlhelm delivery specifications in Baer's book it was initially planned to have regimental numbers as decals; this was later dropped, my guess is long before the M18 was produced.

Once the helmets were individual issues (rather than a front-line trench asset that was handed over to whoever was occupying that section of trench) it makes sense that some regimental marking was applied to show ownership, however I haven't seen many.

Pictures would be very nice :D