It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:36 am 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 am
Posts: 649
This helmet belonged to Artillerie Offizier Jos Kuiffer, 8th Foot Artillery (Rheinisches), XVI Armee Korps, Metz. He was a Fahnrich:

Image
Image

The spike is excessively tall for a Kugelhelm and it has sustained a slight rearward tilt:

Image
Image

The Wappen is held on with screw fasteners and retains almost all of it's original gilt:

Image

The liner is intact:

Image

There are several markings on the inside of the helmet shell including the size, 56 1/2, and a note: "Fur Artillerie Offizier Jos Kuiffer". I am not the best when it comes to German script but the writing is fairly simple to make out, except for the Jos part, so I had a friend of mine in Munich help me with the script issue to make sure it said what I thought it did:

Image

There is also a mark "FR" next to the note:

Image

There is another scribble on the other side of the helmet that my friend said was another "FR":

Image

The script is in pencil and done in very poor handwriting. It may just be a note to the maker of who the helmet was going to and what type of Wappen to put on it, "FR". I doubt that the "FR" stood for Fahnrich since that is only one word in German.

I also have Herr Kuiffer's sword. It's a standard Heer, dove head sword with officer's portapee:

Image

The Fahnrich's pipe is also included:

Image

The pipe is very unusual since it has a Kugelhelm cover, like one would find on a regimental pipe, but the bowl has a picture of the Metz Catherdral, written in French "Cathedrale Metz". Fahnrich Kuiffer must have had an affinity for Elsass Lothringen.

Image

The Troddeln on the pipe is "blue - red - blue" indicating the 8th Company. This seems odd since a foot artillery battalion had four howitzer batteries and two heavy mortar batteries. There was no 8th batterie, or company. Perhaps he just used these colors to represent "8th Regt". There is always something to research. The sword is pictured below with the incorrect Portapee:

Image

John :)


Last edited by SkipperJohn on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:12 am 
Offline
Contributor
Contributor

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:32 pm
Posts: 355
Location: EU, Latvia
Nice! Very nice!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:14 am 
Offline
Contributor
Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:21 pm
Posts: 363
Location: New Orleans
Nice collection you have there.

What a tall kugel !!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:37 am 
Offline
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:09 am
Posts: 87
Location: Scottsboro, Alabama
Nice collection, especially since it all can be attributed to a specific individual.

_________________
Neil


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:39 pm 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:35 am
Posts: 649
Location: United Kingdom
John,

an interesting conundrum. With regards to the number of companies in a Foot Artillery Regiment, I can confirm as at 1914 there were in fact eight in peacetime. Please see the extract for Fuß-Artillerie-Regiment Nr. 8 for 1914 which shows the officers assigned to that company.

The Portepee is something of a mismatch. It has the colours of a soldiers' Troddel with the closed silver tassels of the officers' portepee. In fact I would say that is a Wehrmacht (Heer) pattern knot. As a Fähnrich, he would have been entitled to the silver portepee with silver and black strap.

I can find no officer with name Kuiffer. Is it possibly Küpper? A Leutnant der Reserve of the name was serving in the regiment in 1914.

Regards
Glenn

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:02 pm 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 am
Posts: 649
Glennj wrote:
John,

an interesting conundrum. With regards to the number of companies in a Foot Artillery Regiment, I can confirm as at 1914 there were in fact eight in peacetime. Please see the extract for Fuß-Artillerie-Regiment Nr. 8 for 1914 which shows the officers assigned to that company.

The Portepee is something of a mismatch. It has the colours of a soldiers' Troddel with the closed silver tassels of the officers' portepee. In fact I would say that is a Wehrmacht (Heer) pattern knot. As a Fähnrich, he would have been entitled to the silver portepee with silver and black strap.

I can find no officer with name Kuiffer. Is it possibly Küpper? A Leutnant der Reserve of the name was serving in the regiment in 1914.

Regards
Glenn


Glenn,
His name could have been Kuiffer, Kuffer, Kuisser, Kusser, Kuipper, Kupper, etc. My friend and I did the best we could and we both decided that it mostly resembled Kuiffer. The writing is obviously rapidly done and scribbled. My friend in Munich is much more adept at reading German script so I trusted his word.
A Fahnrich is entitled to wear an officer's knot and the strap is the same color as the knot. I'm not sure what you are saying in regards to the Portapee. It may be a replacement. I got it with the sword when I got the set. Please explain, I am interested to know.
It is interesting to find out that there were 8 Batteries in a Fussartillerie battalion in 1914. I, however, have absolutely no idea when this officer served. There are two Kokarden on his Pickelhaube, so, at least, he became a Fahnrich after 1897. I'm sure the 8th artillery regiment rotated officers, as did we.

John :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:09 am 
Offline
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:45 am
Posts: 1655
Location: Belgium
Great find!

Adler


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:39 pm 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:35 am
Posts: 649
Location: United Kingdom
John,

Please find below from left to right illustrations of:

Prussian officers' portepee.
Imperial troddel for an 8th company.
Later Reichswehr (post 1928)/Wehrmacht pattern troddel for an 8th company.

The Fähnrich as well as senior non-commissioned officers (Feldwebel/Vizefeldwebel etc.) wore the officers' portepee.

I have checked every edition of the Prussian army list from 1897 to 1914 plus the Ehrenrangliste which further shows wartime commissions; No Kuiffer. Küpper is therefore a possibility. If it is indeed the helmet of Herr Küpper, then this was the helmet of a Vizefeldwebel der Reserve upgraded with the officers' Perlring.

Regards
Glenn

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:33 pm 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 am
Posts: 649
Glennj wrote:
John,

Please find below from left to right illustrations of:

Prussian officers' portepee.
Imperial troddel for an 8th company.
Later Reichswehr (post 1928)/Wehrmacht pattern troddel for an 8th company.

The Fähnrich as well as senior non-commissioned officers (Feldwebel/Vizefeldwebel etc.) wore the officers' portepee.

I have checked every edition of the Prussian army list from 1897 to 1914 plus the Ehrenrangliste which further shows wartime commissions; No Kuiffer. Küpper is therefore a possibility. If it is indeed the helmet of Herr Küpper, then this was the helmet of a Vizefeldwebel der Reserve upgraded with the officers' Perlring.

Regards
Glenn


Glenn,
I see what you mean about the Troddel. It is obviously not correct. I'll begin looking for a proper one soon. Is there a difference between a WW1 and a WW2 Officer's Portapee? I have seen these with two silver stripes (in thread) or three silver stripes (also in thread).

Since I bought these items from a family who had long since lost interest, and not a dealer, the Portapee issue was likely not altered by them and it went unnoticed by me.

The helmet is a completely proper Pickelhaube for a Fahnrich. We could have gotten the name wrong when we were studying it. We did seek outside assistance from Herr Spaten and Miss St. Pauli Girl so the possibilities of a mistake are endless. Since a Fahnrich would not enjoy a full commission is it possible that he would not be listed among the regular officers?
Here is the best photo I can get of the name:

Image

I suppose that it is also possible that the unit, 8th Fussartillerie, was misidentified because of the pipe. I have a beer stein from Berlin, but I never served there. I just couldn't find a good Beer Stein that said Okinawa, Kuwait, or Iraq!

John :)


Last edited by SkipperJohn on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:55 pm 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 675
Location: belgium
Nice group you got your hands on ,interesting to find these at all

Jonas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:02 am 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:31 pm
Posts: 767
Location: EU
Nice find :thumb up:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:09 pm 
Offline
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:54 pm
Posts: 1833
Location: Netherlands
Looks great!

Thanks for sharing :D

Best regards,

Edwin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:08 am 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 am
Posts: 649
I have found a proper Portapee for Fahnrich Kuiffer's sword:

Image

All I need to find out now is his actual Fussartillerie unit.

John :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:52 pm 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 am
Posts: 649
This post has been updated using picorator.com.

John :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:51 am 
Offline
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:29 pm
Posts: 88
Very interesting. The 8/8 Batterie has very uncommon guns, 15 cm Kanone in Schirmlafette, a gun with an armored carriage which looks like naval gun. It can move with special truck on rail or on road with a steaming tractor. I will pu some pictures when I have time


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:35 am 
Offline
Departed
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:22 pm
Posts: 2562
festwagner wrote:
Very interesting. The 8/8 Batterie has very uncommon guns, 15 cm Kanone in Schirmlafette, a gun with an armored carriage which looks like naval gun. It can move with special truck on rail or on road with a steaming tractor. I will pu some pictures when I have time


That is interesting. I am only familiar with the Krupp 15cm SK L/40 i.R. (SK - Schnellladungskanone = fast-loading cannon / i.R. - in Raderlafette = in wheeled carriage) HERE

Look forward to learning about the Schirmlafette.

_________________
Kaiser: 09 July 1997 - 12 October 2010.
Nina: 23 April 2002 - 31 July 2015.
I miss my little Noodles.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:08 pm 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 am
Posts: 649
festwagner wrote:
Very interesting. The 8/8 Batterie has very uncommon guns, 15 cm Kanone in Schirmlafette, a gun with an armored carriage which looks like naval gun. It can move with special truck on rail or on road with a steaming tractor. I will pu some pictures when I have time


I look forward to seeing the photos of the Schirmlafette. I've never heard of it.

John :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:05 am 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 am
Posts: 649
festwagner wrote:
Very interesting. The 8/8 Batterie has very uncommon guns, 15 cm Kanone in Schirmlafette, a gun with an armored carriage which looks like naval gun. It can move with special truck on rail or on road with a steaming tractor. I will pu some pictures when I have time


Is this the Kanone in Schirmlafette used by the 8/8 Batterie?

Image

Image

Image

John :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:51 am 
Offline
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:29 pm
Posts: 88
Soory, I have just realized that I forgot to make my post before I went on Holydays.
I will do it the evening and ys it is the famous 15 KiSL. I have lots of pictures, I will put them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:59 pm 
Offline
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:29 pm
Posts: 88
As promised, others pictures of this gun

Taken near the "Hauts de Meuse"
Image


This gun was specific for the fortress of Metz. Only 8 exemplars were built by Krupp some years before WWI. At the beginning of WWI, it has two specifities
1° the longest range of all the heavy german guns : 15 km !
2 ° it was very easy to move the gun with special truck which can be moved on rail or road

A road convoy makes a pause in Mars La Tour 1914
Image

A Schirmlaffe on a rail truck. Crew try to make it go down... Argonne 1915
Image

Crew makes a pause in the operation
Image

Gun is in position !
Image

Picture taken in Verdun in Februar 1916. The gun has been hiden because of the planes. In the general bombing before the german assault in Februar 1916, these guns must fire specificly on the bridges in Verdun to cut the roads.
Image

Four guns were in Verdun, one gun was destroyed in october 1916, another heavily damaged, crews have too heavy casualties. The armoured carriage (3 cm) was unable to protect them from the massif french bombing.


Examples of direct hits on the Schirmlafette
Image


These guns went on lots of fronts : siege of Antwerpen in october 1914, on the Belgian coast to help the Marine Division to prevent english raids on U Boat bases (HMS Majestic was heavily damaged by the Schirmlafette), against the french forts of Hauts de Meuse,in Argonne, in Verdun..

THe HMS majestic which was hit par the Schirmlafette in november 1914
Image




and of sevreal pictures of the crew of 5/8 during WWI. I like to be able to put face on these men who fought with these fantastic guns

Picture taken before the war in 1913 in Metz, these men will fight during WWI with their guns but at that time they didn't know it...
Image

Pictures taken in 1915. Some of the men of the first picture must be there. The nice uniformes have disapeared... And I am not sure that the men still have their PIckelhaube !
Image



At the end of the war, 4 guns were taken by US troops near Mars La Tour. One gun was sent to USA to be studied. Unfortunately the gun was destroyed after WWI but the barrel is still existing, in a small city Topton.

Image

But the city never wanted to give answer to my questions... If some one lives not far from this city...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:18 pm 
Offline
Departed
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:22 pm
Posts: 2562
That was really enjoyable. Thank you! :thumbright:

_________________
Kaiser: 09 July 1997 - 12 October 2010.
Nina: 23 April 2002 - 31 July 2015.
I miss my little Noodles.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:38 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:25 pm
Posts: 6282
Location: San Antonio TX
Quote:
That was really enjoyable. Thank you! :thumbright:


Ditto

_________________
VR/Joe
www.pickelhauben.net
The British philosopher and historian R.G. Colligwood said, "it is not
the facts that are interesting in history, but the questions and their
answers - and these can never be fixed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:45 am 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 am
Posts: 649
Here are some additional photos:

Image

Image

Image

And my personal favorite:

Image

John :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:43 pm 
Offline
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:06 am
Posts: 66
Location: Germany
There was a „Lt. Koester“ in the Documet which Glenn posted.
For me the handwritten Name could be „Koester“. The „s“ was written similar like a todayˋs „f“ in german Kurrent or Kanzlei-Handwriting. And the next letter looks like a „t“ for me.
Please look here for examples of handwriting-letters:
http://www.suetterlinschrift.de/Lese/Kanzlei1.htm

_________________
Best wishes, Sandy


Last edited by Sandmann on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:18 am 
Offline
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:29 pm
Posts: 88
Hello Skipperjohn

THanks for the pictures, the 2nd and 4st pictures are 15 KiSL, the 2 others another type of gun


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:04 pm 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 am
Posts: 649
festwagner wrote:
Hello Skipperjohn

THanks for the pictures, the 2nd and 4st pictures are 15 KiSL, the 2 others another type of gun


I am afraid you lost me. I believe that you said that the 2nd and 4th photos are correct for the Schirmlafette, but the first and third photos are not. I can understand the first photo since this gun seems to be mounted on a bunker of some sort, but the third photo is labelled "Schirmlafette".

I'm confused???

John :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 am
Posts: 649
Sandmann wrote:
There was a „Lt. Koester“ in the Documet which Glenn posted.
For me the handwritten Name could be „Koester“. The „s“ was written similar like a todayˋs „f“ in german Kurrent or Kanzlei-Handwriting. And the next letter looks like a „t“ for me.


I'll buy that. Actually, that looks quite possible.
Thanks!

John :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 am 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:06 pm
Posts: 567
Quote:
At the end of the war, 4 guns were taken by US troops near Mars La Tour. One gun was sent to USA to be studied. Unfortunately the gun was destroyed after WWI but the barrel is still existing, in a small city Topton.
But the city never wanted to give answer to my questions... If some one lives not far from this city...



What state is Topton in?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:46 am 
Offline
Contributor
Contributor

Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:29 am
Posts: 115
Location: The Netherlands
I can't read the name in the photo well. "Koester" may be possible, while "Jos" probably is an abbreviation of "Joseph/Josef". I really like this kind of detective work - it makes the long dead wearer kinda come to life again!

_________________
Jaap Verduijn
Pensioned writer, editor, journalist.
Favourite quote: "Ninety percent of everything is bullshit".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:04 pm 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:06 pm
Posts: 567
aicusv wrote:
Quote:
At the end of the war, 4 guns were taken by US troops near Mars La Tour. One gun was sent to USA to be studied. Unfortunately the gun was destroyed after WWI but the barrel is still existing, in a small city Topton.
But the city never wanted to give answer to my questions... If some one lives not far from this city...



What state is Topton in?


Never mind, I found it. It is Topton PA, in front of the American Legion Post (RAY A. MASTER. POST 217, Inc. 133 Centre Avenue. Topton, PA 19562) (there is a French 75 across the street from it). Until not to long ago Topton was a German speaking town. It is not really a city, population is just a little over 2,000 people, built as a whistle stop on the Railroad. I have been in and through there many times, about an hour and half drive for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 pm 
Offline
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:29 pm
Posts: 88
SkipperJohn wrote:
festwagner wrote:
Hello Skipperjohn

THanks for the pictures, the 2nd and 4st pictures are 15 KiSL, the 2 others another type of gun


I am afraid you lost me. I believe that you said that the 2nd and 4th photos are correct for the Schirmlafette, but the first and third photos are not. I can understand the first photo since this gun seems to be mounted on a bunker of some sort, but the third photo is labelled "Schirmlafette".

I'm confused???

John :?



Yes I am confused too, I posted too fastly. 2nd and 3rd are Schirmlafette ! Sorry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:43 pm 
Offline
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:29 pm
Posts: 88
aicusv wrote:
aicusv wrote:
Quote:
At the end of the war, 4 guns were taken by US troops near Mars La Tour. One gun was sent to USA to be studied. Unfortunately the gun was destroyed after WWI but the barrel is still existing, in a small city Topton.
But the city never wanted to give answer to my questions... If some one lives not far from this city...



What state is Topton in?


Never mind, I found it. It is Topton PA, in front of the American Legion Post (RAY A. MASTER. POST 217, Inc. 133 Centre Avenue. Topton, PA 19562) (there is a French 75 across the street from it). Until not to long ago Topton was a German speaking town. It is not really a city, population is just a little over 2,000 people, built as a whistle stop on the Railroad. I have been in and through there many times, about an hour and half drive for me.



Funny to put an german barrel in a former german speaking city!
I tried some years ago to contact the city council to have some informations about this barrel, but I had no answer...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 pm 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:06 pm
Posts: 567
As the gun belongs to the American Legion Post I doubt that anyone on Council would take much interest in it. You could try writing the Post Commander.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 pm 
Offline
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 am
Posts: 649
festwagner wrote:
SkipperJohn wrote:
festwagner wrote:
Hello Skipperjohn

THanks for the pictures, the 2nd and 4st pictures are 15 KiSL, the 2 others another type of gun


I am afraid you lost me. I believe that you said that the 2nd and 4th photos are correct for the Schirmlafette, but the first and third photos are not. I can understand the first photo since this gun seems to be mounted on a bunker of some sort, but the third photo is labelled "Schirmlafette".

I'm confused???

John :?



Yes I am confused too, I posted too fastly. 2nd and 3rd are Schirmlafette ! Sorry


The forth photo sure looks like a Schirmlafette to me. The recoil mechanism looks the same. The housing cover looks the same, and the round looks to be very close to 15cm. Why do you say it is a different gun?
Anxious for the education.

John


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8th Foot Artillery Fahnrich, Metz
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:03 am 
Offline
Departed
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:22 pm
Posts: 2562
John I am seeing three different types of cannon in these photos on this thread. Schirmlafette only means it has a large shield to protect the crew; it is not specific to the cannon type. I collect cartridge casings and am very interested to identify these. The ones with the very thick squared armour plate appear to be 15cm SK L/40 Marine Mounts from the SMS Grazelle, Bremen, Königsberg, Dresden and Tiger classes of cruisers which used separate cartridge and projectile.

Others have much thinner armour shields and have a distinctive overhang above the crew area. Different traverse, elevation and breech mechanisms from what I can see too. Most pointedly, they clearly used fixed ammunition. Really interesting. They have different steps on the barrel as well.

Image

_________________
Kaiser: 09 July 1997 - 12 October 2010.
Nina: 23 April 2002 - 31 July 2015.
I miss my little Noodles.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: