It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Reichsadler
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:21 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

This thread may not go far, but I thought it might be interesting to explore helmets specific to the German Reich. By this, I mean headdress worn by those military and civilian contingents created after the unification of Germany. For example, the Königliche Preussische Marine and Norddeutsche Bundesmarine would be combined in 1871 to form the Kaiserliche Marine, of which the See Bataillone (naval infantry) were a component; Reichsland Elsaß-Lothringen would be policed by a newly created Reichs-Gendarmerie; and Germany's growing colonial interests would be protected by overseas Schutztruppe.

With respect to helmets, a characteristic shared by these diverse forces was a Wappen derived from the Reichsadler, an eagle adorned with the state crown of the new German Empire and heraldic Collar of the Black Eagle. Additionally, a single Kokarde or, where appropriate, Feldzeichen in the national colors was worn.

I have but three examples to share, but my hope is that other members of the forum will contribute to the "database."

Tschako for Reserve Officer, Kaiserliche Seebataillon:

Pickelhaube for Wachtmeister zu Fuß, Reichsland Elsaß-Lothringen Gendarmerie:

Pickelhaube for Officer, Ostasiatisches Besatzungsbrigade:

Chas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:05 am 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Chas: A very interesting and worthwhile thread. The only example I have to contribute is this other ranks, private purchase, See Bn. shako.

Reservist1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:52 am 

This mounted Gendarme it is absolutely mint and belongs to Steve Sinclair.

the facts that are interesting in history, but the questions and their
answers - and these can never be fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:34 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Gentlemen:

Thank you for participating.

Joe:

I find it interesting that the two R.G. 18 helmets are thoroughly military in their configuration. Steve Sinclair's zu Pferd displays all the characteristics of a Dragoner helmet, whereas my zu Fuß represents the infantry archetype. Have you pictures of the Kokarde and rear spine of the mounted Gendarme?

R1:

Your private purchase See Bn. Tschako is superb. For those not familiar, See Bn. Offizier and Feldwebeltschako were covered in black felt, whilst issued Tschako were of lacquered leather. Some proud Seesoldat went the extra mile to buy a helmet of such quality. Is it ventilated, and is the liner also private purchase pattern?

It should be noted that the two Reichs Gendarmerie and Ostasiatisches helmets feature the Reichsadler as it appeared from 1888-1918. The new See Bn. Zierat was introduced in August, 1875, having evolved from the Marine-Infanterist Wappen of the Königliche Preussische Marine.

(Source: Unsere Marineuniform, Josef Zeinert, Helmut Gerhard Schulz Verlag, Hamburg, 1970)

Replacing the Prussian Grenadier style Adler and fouled anchor was a modified Reichsadler with upswept wings, superimposed over, and clutching, an anchor. Personally, I consider it the most beautiful Wappen of the Kaiserreich.

Chas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:47 am 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Quote:
Is it ventilated, and is the liner also private purchase pattern?

Chas: The other ranks, private purchase, See Bn. shako is not ventilated. The liner is officer/private puchase style (leather sweatband with ribbed silk cap).

Reservist1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:02 pm 
Departed

Lost Skeleton wrote:
// I find it interesting that the two R.G. 18 helmets are thoroughly military in their configuration. Steve Sinclair's zu Pferd displays all the characteristics of a Dragoner helmet, whereas my zu Fuß represents the infantry archetype. Have you pictures of the Kokarde and rear spine of the mounted Gendarme?.

Chas, that would fall in line with the often-misrepresented Land Gendarmerie helmets of which there were two types: mounted which look exactly like Garde Dragoner and foot, which look exactly like Garde Grenadier according to Löhken Ingo , Die Polizei-Uniformen in Preussen, 1866 - 1945 Friedberg, Podzun-Pallas-Verlag 1986. VERY nice Tschakos and helmets by the way.. :love10:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:35 pm 

Quote:
Joe:

I find it interesting that the two R.G. 18 helmets are thoroughly military in their configuration. Steve Sinclair's zu Pferd displays all the characteristics of a Dragoner helmet, whereas my zu Fuß represents the infantry archetype. Have you pictures of the Kokarde and rear spine of the mounted Gendarme?

I have partial pictures-these will probably do the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:49 pm 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Super! Thanks, Joe. That is exactly what I expected to see.

Chas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:27 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

I spotted the following item on Herr Weitze's website. The Tschakozierat is the Reichsadler as it appeared prior to 6 December 1888. CLICK TO VIEW

A side by side comparison:
(Drawings created by David Liuzzo)

Chas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:02 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Dan (DASH) raised a question in the thread, SOS 2009 Photos, regarding a helmet on the Trawnik/Cowan table. I've quoted Dan here as his query is germane to this discussion and is less likely to be buried once SOS 2009 is old news. I've also taken the liberty of borrowing and manipulating one of James' photos (knowing he's a good sport and won't hold it against me).

This is the helmet Dan spotted:
On 16 March:
DASH wrote:
I have had the mystery helmet for many years, but was never able to identify it (black leather trimmed in all brass - Reichsadler Wappen, short FLUTED spike, round base, officers style round visor and rear spine trim, flat chinscales, rosettes with fold over tabs, leather liner with square cut finger ends - unfortunately, it came without Kokarde/n.

I have had suggestions ranging from Colonial troops to Elsass Lothringen officials. Any thoughts on what the correct Kokard/Kokarden would be? I assume this is a pre 1880 helmet due to the square cut liner fingers.

Dan also noted a similar helmet in Joe's photos, which I subsequently purchased from Richard Kosek. This helmet also appears in the thread starter:
On 20 March:
DASH wrote:
At first glance, my helmet would seem to be related to your Elsass-Lothringen Gendarmerie helmet. If I might, I would like to start with your helmet, and describe how mine differs, as I am unable to post a picture.

1) I believe mine is earlier, as the crown is higher, and the liner fingers are square cut. I also believe it to be a low ranking officers, of field quality. All trim is brass.

2) The sewn on side rosette reinforcement panels appear to be longer and higher (60mm high) than normal on a size 53 helmet. The rosette hole center is 36mm from the helmet bottom rim. The size"53" is marked in pencil, and is the only marking.

3) The Reichsadler Wappen on mine seems to have just a bit more detail (the mouth is pierced, the feathers, scrolls, and crown appear to finer).

4) Visor and rear spine trim is officer style.

5) The 95mm high spike, which is visible in Minnesota Slims picture, is different from any other spike I have ever seen, and is rather delicate looking when compared to the Elsass spike. From the side, the spike itself has 4 flat sides with impressed flutes. They curve inward at the bottom to form a half sphere where they flow into the base. The base, which has no pearlring, is 18mm wide at its slimmest, and 30mm wide at its widest point. The one piece spike/base has 2 small side vent holes. When viewed from the top, the spike is square in form, with gently curving sides, with each corner directly over a base mounting hole. There is no Kugel on this spike.

6) The helmet came with flat brass chinscales. The rosettes are the fold over tab type. The helmet had no Kokarden when I purchased it, but there appears to be a Kokard imprint on thr right side, approximately 52mm in size. I had assumed, if Elsass, it would take a Reich "NCO" Kokard.

Any thoughts? Dan

On Tony's recommendation, I recently acquired a copy of Ingo Löhken's Polizei • Uniformen der Süddeutschen Staaten 1872 - 1932. The final chapter in this work chronicles Reichslande Elsaß-Lothringen 1872 bis 1918. Löhken describes Gendarmerie and Schutzmannschaft helmets in minute detail, but I have been unable to find the pattern to which Dan's helmet conforms.

With the exception of the fluted spike and officer Hinterschiene, Dan's helmet complies with the pre-1891 configuration for the Gendarmen/Wachtmeister/Oberwachmeister zu Fuß Lederhelm. By comparison, Offizier helmets featured angled visors (eckigem) and a cruciform spike base (Kreuzblattbasis) -- essentially an officer version of the mounted (berittenen Gendarmen) helmet belonging to Steve Sinclair above.

Without further inspiration, the most I can venture regarding Dan's helmet is that it does appear to be an early Reichs officer helmet (though not Elsaß-Lothringen Gendarmerie), and it should be fitted with a Reichskokarde with silver ring. I'm not sufficiently conversant with Zoll and Beamte helmets to volunteer more.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:35 pm 

Chas - Thank you for transferring my helmet question to the Reichsadler thread. I bought this helmet in 1965 for the Reichsadler, which has become my favorate Wappen, perhaps because of its belligerent stance.

There were thoughts that this helmet might be Zoll, Elsass-Lothringen Beamte or Polizei, or even Kolonial, but each thought had a problem.

One other clue, or dead end, is a helmet I saw in the 18 November, 1972 catalogue from the Tradition Auctionhaus, Munich. The helmet was almost identical to mine (and most likely identical to the one at the SOS). The difference was that it had officer stars, and a silk liner, which mine does not. It was lot #211, and was listed as : SEE-BATALLIONE, HELM EINES ZAHLMEISTERS der MARINE INFANTERIE.

I may never know what my helmet is, but if I can find a small hole "NCO" Reichs Kokarde, I will be a happy camper just having it in the cabinet.

Dan

Post subject: Re: The Reichsadler
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:28 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

DASH wrote:
It was lot #211, and was listed as : SEE-BATALLIONE, HELM EINES ZAHLMEISTERS der MARINE INFANTERIE.

Hi Dan:

That's one identification which can be ruled out immediately (any Zahlmeister helmet would feature silver Helm-beschlagen). Furthermore, I believe a Marine Zahlmeister would wear the peaked hat of a Seeoffizier with silver insignia and chinstrap buttons.

I'm still hunting.

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:54 pm 

Chas - Thanks for the definitive answer to the "Zahlmeister" theory. It was an interesting concept, but wasn't high on my list of possibilities as I consider this helmet to be, perhaps, for someone at a rank equivalent to a sergeant.

In a quest to know what someting is, you have to know what it isn't. I am learning that you also have to be more critical, especially when using older reference material. A good example of this is the current discussion of the ebay uberzug.

It is comforting to know, however, that I do not have the only example of this helmet with this strange spike and Reichsadler, as there are 4 that I now know of (2 with officer stars, 2 with officer style fittings but round fold over studs).

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:06 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Dan forwarded the following pictures of his exceptionally nice helmet:

For comparison, Sergio Semino currently has for sale a Pickelhaube described as a Kaiserreich Offizier Gendarmerie Elsaß-Lothringen helmet HERE.

Dan, it is entirely possible your helmet is the pre-1891 version of mine. Perhaps, an A.E., A.K.O., or A.O. directive exists stipulating that the spike be changed to the Prussian military pattern when the Knopf 91 system was adopted.

Chas

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:42 pm 

Chas - Thank you for posting the pictures of my helmet for me, and showing the reference to the "Kaiserreich Offizier Gendarmerie - Elsass-Lothringen" helmet listed by Militaria Online.

After not knowing what my helmet was for all these years, YOU HAVE SOLVED THE MYSTERY!!!

I also agree with you, that your Wachtmeister zu Fuss, Reichsland ELsass-Lothringen Gendarmerie is a very close, but somewhat younger cousin. They also all share the single right side Reichs kokarde (mine is missing as it came with an incorrect 48mm large hole NCO Kokarde) but you can see the larger Kokarde imprint in the leather.

So, I'm still searching for the 53mm small hole Unteroffizier mit Portepee kokarde, and am confident that I will find one. Now that I know what the helmet is, I want everything - there's just no way to satisfy some people.

Thanks again, Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:55 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Great discussion chaps, and amazing photos. I thought you'd be curious to see this one- http://www.traditionsverband.de/forum/v ... hp?f=3&t=6

It's a Schutztruppe helmet model 1915, it says... any thoughts?

Cheers
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:36 pm 

Now that link had an interesting discussion! I have lusted after this wappen for years. Documentation seems to be completely outside of my reach. I have also seen several different varieties and colors. George had one of these. To add on to this point:

Quote:
Eine weitere Frage stellt sich noch: Wer konnte überhaupt als Träger eines solchen Helmes ab 1916 überhaupt in Frage kommen? Die aktiven Offiziere waren in Afrika im Feld oder in Gefangenschaft und das Kommando der Schutztruppen im Reichskolonialamt scheidet aus. Offiziere im Beurlaubtenstand hätten das Landwehrkreuz tragen müssen, inaktive Sanitäts- und Veterinäroffiziere durften keinen fliegenden Adler tragen.
Vermutlich war der Träger ein Schutztruppen-Offizier im Beurlaubtenstand (Reserve/Landwehr), der es während des Krieges mit dem Landwehrkreuz nicht mehr so ernst nahm oder ein noch während des Krieges in die Heimat zurückgekehrter Offizier oder ein Veteran nach 1918.

I just don't know. I have difficulty with the Beurlaubtenstand concept, but cannot explain the different variations I have seen. based on some construction points, many of these seem to be veteran helmets-however, this example is M15 in nature. Why? I have not seen any Bekleidungsvorschriften der Schutztruppe from 1913 or 1916. Just shows you I just don't know. I think this discussion has been very well laid out since the beginning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:19 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

joerookery wrote:
I have not seen any Bekleidungsvorschriften der Schutztruppe from 1913 or 1916.

Hi Joe,

It's the 25.02.1916 Uniform Regulations for the Schutztruppe that mention the return of the Pickelhaube for the Schutztruppe on home duty. See
http://www.traditionsverband.de/forum/v ... hp?f=3&t=8
For more Schutztruppe uniform regulations.

Cheers
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:29 pm 

Thanks! That is later than I first thought.....!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:58 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Later than you thought? you're right... The Pickelhaube was first used by the East African Schutztruppe as part of their home uniform in 1891 (I think that's the 04.06.1891 rules). Then it's dropped in the 1896 rules.... then brought back in 1916 (ironically the same year it was all but dropped by the regular army). All this was for home use only, I've not seen Pickelhaubes used in the colonies...

Cheers
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:43 am 
Contributor
Contributor

DASH wrote:
One other clue, or dead end, is a helmet I saw in the 18 November, 1972 catalogue from the Tradition Auctionhaus, Munich. The helmet was almost identical to mine (and most likely identical to the one at the SOS). The difference was that it had officer stars, and a silk liner, which mine does not. It was lot #211, and was listed as : SEE-BATALLIONE, HELM EINES ZAHLMEISTERS der MARINE INFANTERIE.

Possibly not that far off. He could be an official... an Illustration by Pietsch published in Charles Woolley's "Uniforms of the German Colonial Troops" on P122 shows a vetinary officer from the Tsingtao garrison. He's wearing a Picklehaube just like yours... yellow metal fittings, chinscales etc. The illustration is too small to define if it's a Prussian eagle or Imperial on the Pickelhaube. But as all troops in Tsingtao (Navy, Seebatallion and the occasional East Asian Occupation troops) were imperial rather than state, I would have thought he'd have to have an imperial eagle...

Cheers
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:42 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a great collection of imperial eagles from the Fort de la Pompelle Museum near Riems in France.

The top row are naval caps, the second row Marine Infantry (with a Cameroon Schutztruppe officers hat in the middle) and the bottom row East Asians.

This photo is from WikiCommons http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... emands.JPG by Gérald Garitan.

Cheers
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:58 pm 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Better late than never.

P.S. It's not a parrot :wink:

XII. See-Bataillon / Marine Luftschiff Abteilung II by drakegoodman, on Flickr

XII See-Batl. by drakegoodman, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:24 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

drakegoodman wrote:

P.S. It's not a parrot :wink:

Good Lord! It sure looks like one!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:40 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Nice old thread!
Here's my contribution to keep it alive: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7774 :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:54 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

OK gentlemen, here's a riddle for you:
I'm an EM/OR pickelhaube with the Reichsadler and only a Reichs cockade, my spike (& crossbase) looks like a Police spike, I have a ventilated spine, and M91 knopf... and yet, my liner looks like an older model with its square cut finger ends, not to mention the adler's crown which could also be an older model since it seems slightly higher (as discussed above with DASH's helmet), plus the front AND back visor metal trims... WHAT AM I ??? :-k ](*,)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:23 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

This issue has been keeping me busy for 2 days in a row now...

Here's the closest photos I was able to find so far:
This Japanese collector displays a Pickelhaube described as "Elsass-Lothringen Police NCO Helmet" without any additional details as to model or period. It has some similar fittings (same little silver spike & visor trims) but doesn't have the Reichsadler: http://masas-attic.jugem.jp/?eid=133

Similar description here: http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion ... at59_m.txt
(note both helmets in the latter links have what seem to be covered/unused original wappen holes)

As for the foot gendarmes from Alsace Lorraine depicted in the photo hereafter, they seem to have the combination of Reichsadler + little spike on their helmets but I can't tell for sure... the fellow to the right has the clearest helmet but it's not enough: http://www.kukri.de/reich1-2.html

This guy too seems to be wearing a helmet with the police spike + leather chinstrap + Reichsadler (?): http://www.kukri.de/reich2-2.html

Aaaaargh! (Heeeelp!) ](*,)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:17 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ron,

I can't help much but I did like that Japanese collector's link. On this page-
http://masas-attic.jugem.jp/?cid=16&PHP ... 0d03b923ef
He has more Reichsadler Wappen. A possible Schutztruppe helm, this RG one, another RG one for officers and a Marine Infantry one. So thank you for showing me the link!

Cheers
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:37 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

So far, I have found that the type of (silver nickel) spike seen in Masa's Attic or on my "mystery helmet" is for communal or municipal police or 'Schutzmännern' (= Police Constables)... According to one of Joe's contributions to an old thread here, it was referred to as 'Schutzmannschaftspitze'...

Masa's helmet--which has a 'WII' cypher wappen topped by the German Imperial Crown--is actually described as an "Elsass-Lothringen Police NCO Helmet" & "Helm für Schutzmänner, Reichslande Elsaß–Lothringen, Kaiserlichen Schutzmannschaft".

It is also described elsewhere on the net as a Model 1868 helmet for the Kaiserlichen Schutzmannschaft in Elsass-Lothringen. Being pre-1891, this justifies the old chinscale posts that can be clearly spotted in all photos hereafter. One would also infer that the Masa helmet's liner is also of the older model similar to my "mystery helmet"... We can't see if the spine is ventilated either but I would presume it isn't:
ImageImage

Other helmets with the silver nickel 'Schutzmannschaftspitze' (described as per their owners):

> (Prussian) Königliche Mediatstädten (middle cities/townships?) Schutzmannschaft Helmet (used from 1866 to 1918) featuring the 'WII' cypher wappen topped with the Prussian Royal Crown:
ImageImage

But so far nothing on the combination silver nickel 'Schutzmannschaftspitze' + Imperial Reichsadler + M91 Posts & leather chinstrap & ventilated spine (all M1895 pickelhaube features) + older style liner... ](*,)

P.S. I hope the various helmet owners won't hold my directly reproducing their photos against me :wink:

Last edited by RON on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:56 pm 

ps1111 by joerookery, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:51 am 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Hey Joe,
That (very nice) photo of yours is part of the old thread here that had given me the most leads as to the 'Schutzmannschaftspitze'... :thumb up:
From what I've learned here and there on the net, the Prussian Schutzmann (i.e. Policeman or Police Constable) in your photo is wearing a "Königliche Mediatstädten Schutzmannschaft Helmet"--probably M1868--with the WII Royal Prussian Cypher making the guy definitely Prussian as opposed to the Schutzmannschaft Helmets worn in Reichsland Alsace-Lorraine that would have the WII Imperial Cypher as per the photos in my previous post... but you already knew all that.

I presume these 'Mediatstädten' were part of Prussia.
You say the photo is dated 1914/mobilisation; anything more on the back?

Also, I suppose these 'Schutzmänner' inlcuded Kommunalpolizei (Communal or Rural Police), Stadtpolizei (City or Municipal Police), Staat Polizei (State Police), Polizeiverwaltung (Police Administration), etc. All types of rural or urban police force...
It would be good for me to understand where these guys stood from the Gendarmerie (zu Fuss or zu Pferde), Reichsgendarmerie, Landgendarmerie (peacetime MPs), Feldgendarmerie (wartime MPs: mobilized from former L.G. personnel as you once explained), etc., in terms of hierarchy/flowchart if any...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:04 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Well, looks like the 'mystery helmet' can be given a label now thanks to the invaluable help of Glenn :bravo:

Kaiserliche Schutzmannschaft (Imperial Constabulary) Polizeiwachtmeister (Police Sergeant-Major) Pickelhaube M1895, with Neusilber (nickel silver) fixtures, which happens to be fitted with a pre-1895 leather liner unless this was perculiar to the Polizeiwachtmeister rank (?)

As clarified by Glenn, the three main urban areas of Alsace-Lorraine--Straßburg, Mülhausen & Metz--were policed by the Kaiserliche Schutzmannschaft (Imperial Constabulary). Polizeiwachtmeister (Police Sergeant-Major) & superior ranks wore the Reichsadler whereas a Schutzmann (Police Sergeant) wore the WII Imperial Cypher.

I now need to double-check if this police rank wore the regular EM/OR Prussian Cockade as featured on my helmet or if I should start shopping for an NCO version (with the silver ring) ? :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:49 pm 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Ronny,

You really need an Unteroffizier mit Portepee cockade with silver ring.

Regards
Glenn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:04 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

This one will be tough to find but hopefully easier than my Shako's EM Feldzeichen...
Aaaargh ](*,) :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:07 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

OK just found both a good Prussian Feldzeichen and a mint NCO Cockade in one shot so there you go, mission accomplished! \:D/

This babe will complete the above "not-such-a-mystery-anymore-helmet" as per Glenn's (invaluable) advice :thumb up:

Last edited by RON on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:33 am 
Contributor
Contributor

found a good Prussian Feldzeichen:

Where? Did he have two? :) Nice that you got em.

Best regards,
Michel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:33 pm 

Superb Naval Infantry Shako. I would love to own one just like this one some day.

Lost Skeleton wrote:
This thread may not go far, but I thought it might be interesting to explore helmets specific to the German Reich. By this, I mean headdress worn by those military and civilian contingents created after the unification of Germany. For example, the Königliche Preussische Marine and Norddeutsche Bundesmarine would be combined in 1871 to form the Kaiserliche Marine, of which the See Bataillone (naval infantry) were a component; Reichsland Elsaß-Lothringen would be policed by a newly created Reichs-Gendarmerie; and Germany's growing colonial interests would be protected by overseas Schutztruppe.

With respect to helmets, a characteristic shared by these diverse forces was a Wappen derived from the Reichsadler, an eagle adorned with the state crown of the new German Empire and heraldic Collar of the Black Eagle. Additionally, a single Kokarde or, where appropriate, Feldzeichen in the national colors was worn.

I have but three examples to share, but my hope is that other members of the forum will contribute to the "database."

Tschako for Reserve Officer, Kaiserliche Seebataillon:

Pickelhaube for Wachtmeister zu Fuß, Reichsland Elsaß-Lothringen Gendarmerie:

Pickelhaube for Officer, Ostasiatisches Besatzungsbrigade:

Chas.

https://sites.google.com/site/leibgrenadier100/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:20 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Its a real shame that this thread has been gutted of its pics. Here is the 1916 pattern pickelhaube for officers of the Reichskolonialamt...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:54 pm 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Thats a beauty for sure first time to see sutch a reichsadler
Thats a nice helmet

Jonas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:19 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Love it too!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:11 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is a beauty .

Is there any history behind it ?

Yes it is a shame that this post has been gutted.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:43 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

No history, I'm afraid, but it did come with the accompanying belt:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Excellent helmet! I have never seen one like it before. Thanks for posting Arran :thumb up:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:21 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Very nice!

Regards,

Edwin