Genuine or fake bavarian helmet

cottys

Hi guys,
I'm back found another helmet but most things to me are telling me it's a fake with my limited knowledge. The wappen looks of really poor quality and is a silver colour. The kokardens are telling me its a officer's helmet but nothing else the spike and fixing are normal not brass but silver. The condition of the helmet shell looks good not to badly mishapped. The side post do not look like standard type found on the M91 they just look like a screw fixing, not the standard type. Please see the pictures attached its a minefield trying to buy a genuine picklehaube. Please let me know what you all think don't want to waste my time and money. Really struggling to buy a original decent helmet. Thanks in advance, David

Attachments

• Clipped_image_20230926_181954.png
    Clipped_image_20230926_181954.png
    984.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Clipped_image_20230926_182005.png
    Clipped_image_20230926_182005.png
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • Clipped_image_20230926_182053.png
    Clipped_image_20230926_182053.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • Clipped_image_20230926_182011.png
    Clipped_image_20230926_182011.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • Clipped_image_20230926_182148.png
    Clipped_image_20230926_182148.png
    794 KB · Views: 40
Hello,
Forget the helmet.
It's a genuine helmet, but it's been "reassembled" to make it look better, and to sell it for more than it's worth. In France, this is known as a "composite" helmet.
The defective liner has been half-restored. The tip has been manipulated, as has the visor edge and the rear spine. The chinstrap rivets and rear tip rivet are missing.
Above all: the side posts have disappeared, replaced by ugly screws. Chinstrap and roundels are copies. Incidentally, the Reichskokarde on the left should be a Bavarian Landkokarde in nickel silver.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Thank you so much for your information, it's so hard to find when you are new to collecting and I try to absorb what I can read and find out on what the originals should be. Really appreciate this group and the helpfulness.

Hi David, you could always find genuine good helmet on this forum for sale page.

I recently listed a baden Infantry Helmet at a decent price and it was sold.

I maybe list a Saxon or bavarian enlisted man in couple of weeks time.

The example you sold has a silver bavarian which is not common but the rest of the parts are made up so like what clovis said, forget about that helmet.

Regards
Amy Bellars

Hi David, you could always find genuine good helmet on this forum for sale page.

I recently listed a baden Infantry Helmet at a decent price and it was sold.

I maybe list a Saxon or bavarian enlisted man in couple of weeks time.

The example you sold has a silver bavarian which is not common but the rest of the parts are made up so like what clovis said, forget about that helmet.

Regards
Amy Bellars
Thanks Amy,
It's definitely a minefield to buy a decent helmet that is genuine and not either a mish mash of other helmets or just a fake. Please keep me posted if you plan to sell one of yours.
Kind regards,
David

Back