Genuine or fake

woods80#

Dear Pickelhaube helmet collectors,
I was wondering whether experienced members could tell me whether this is a fake or genuine helmet ?20230514_201003.jpg20230514_201020.jpg20230514_201041.jpg20230514_201815.jpg20230514_201758.jpg

If they could make a fake / copy that good , we had better
all look out .
The only question that I have is the screw post on back of the eagle
held by nuts
I would expect loops with leather wedges
Steve

Looks good to me as well. At least two of the spike base brads have been replaced with brass coloured brads used for holding paper together...like a duotang. Brass nuts holding the helmet plate on merely indicate that this is an older plate which is held on by soldered screw posts and these nuts a, pre 1895 helmet plate. I would also say, that the white ring on the Prussian cockade has been repainted. The problems I have noted, are all easily fixed. Having an original chin strap on this is also a great bonus!

If they could make a fake / copy that good , we had better
all look out .
The only question that I have is the screw post on back of the eagle
held by nuts
I would expect loops with leather wedges
Steve
Thanks Steve - appreciate your oversight and expertise on this.

Looks good to me as well. At least two of the spike base brads have been replaced with brass coloured brads used for holding paper together...like a duotang. Brass nuts holding the helmet plate on merely indicate that this is an older plate which is held on by soldered screw posts and these nuts a, pre 1895 helmet plate. I would also say, that the white ring on the Prussian cockade has been repainted. The problems I have noted, are all easily fixed. Having an original chin strap on this is also a great bonus!
Thank you for your information on the helmet - it is greatly appreciated

It is impossible to give a specific auction value but I would estimate $500 - $800+. There are two common pickelhauben, this Prussian model in brass and the same model 1915 with grey painted steel fittings. From your pictures, the chinstrap looks original but it also seems to be from an M15 as the fittings are steel. Either way, if original it is a bonus to have that present.

nothing wrong with that one.....like the owners details inside. The chinstrap is hard to call on these pics but give it the benefit of doubt depending on the price. cockade repainted but no biggie. old style eagle I like. cheers Tony

Last edited:
The chin strap issue is a tough one without having the helmet in hand.

I totally agree but just by looking at the way it lays it just doesn't look to me like the leather and hardware have been together for well over 100 years.

Where its attached to the helmet you can see a big loop in the leather, IMO when they've been together that space is much much tighter, also looking at the left side view of the helmet, if you look closely you can see actual folds in the leather where the leather was folded every couple of inches.

It's just my opinion and nothing more, I'm just a bit more critical I think. 🤔

Back