Getting ready to restore!

Angus

Hi all,
First time post! I am about to undertake some work on a unloved pickelhaube. She is stamped on the tail with IR JR 94. It had a Thuringia plate on the front which I believe is a latter addition. Both the tail and visor need to be stitched, so I will start there. Couple of queries. What type of thread do you use to stitch and what plate should be on the front!

All the best.
Angus :-k

Welcome !

Infanterie Regiment Nr 94 (5. Thüringisches)

Any chance to see some good pictures on all details ?

Thank you,
Francis

Francis is correct especially for prewar wappen. However, it seems as if these quickly came into short supply and photographic evidence shows that the soldiers also resorted to the regular Prussian eagle. I have seen an M15 94th.

ps795 by joerookery, on Flickr

Hi Angus: Welcome. Take a look at the pics in the JR73 restoration post in this part of the forum, they may provide some guidance on this restitch. I would also recommend you take close up pics of both visors before taking them off the shell so you can see where and how they were stitched on. Look for any markings in the finish of the shell and visor that line up so that you can use these as a guide. For example on the rear visor, the metal spine always leaves marks in the finish of the shell and visor. The KEY to any visor restitch is lining up the holes properly, you MUST make certain that they do or you open up a world of hurt for yourself.
Regarding suitable thread......modern thread has nylon/polyester in it which makes it stronger than the original but it "lights up" under black light. If that does not bother you then try to buy some black upholstering thread or go online and look at the Tandy Leather site which supplies leather crafters. Natural thread...linen can be purchased from book binding suppliers. It will not light up. Cotton which was what was used on all the originals, to my knowledge, is not available today in a suitable thickness for what we need to restitch a helme. If some member has a source then post it here as a response. What I have been able to do....thanks to my mother God rest her soul is source vintage cotton thread from the 1950's. So if that is the route you want to follow, then go on Ebay or the net and do a search.
Last, the Saxon helmet plate you have here does not belong on this helmet, an ordinary brass Prussian line eagle would work as shown in Joe's photo but ideally it should have the proper JR 94 plate, probably impossible to find these days. If you want to see my JR 94 with proper plate, go into the pickelhaube discussion section and look for a post: Dutchy Anyone?

Must apologise for the tardy response!
Thanks for all the information.
I have de-constructed the helmet, and given it a bit of a reshape. The helmet appears to have been sat on its side for some time. the visor is completely off and the peakmount is in two pieces. I, surprisingly, managed to track down an original mount on its own, sadly it is a bit too short for my visor. otherwise what is present is salvageable.

Thanks for the info on the helmet plate, I am happy to hunt around for the correct wappen, you will be surprised what turns up down hear in OZ.
The only other missing bits are the corect Kokade and a single retaining stud for the peakmount.

If any one can help on those.......

I will also continue to hunt for a thicker natural cotton thread.

Thanks again

Angus

Back