Mützenbänder of Imperial Times

Thank you all for the complements. It is a pleasure to share. The Mützenband are an overlooked area of collecting. I really don't know why say shoulder boards from divisions or units, but not ships or Naval divisions?
Best Regards,
JustinGView attachment 36165

Your certainly making one helluva case to start a collection. I'm gonna be honest the next time I see them at a show I'm going to take a much longer look.

Last edited:
There is one thing that is important when dealing with imperial tallies. So for example, there was two ships called the S.M.S. Emden during WW1. The more well known one that was part of the East Asia Squadron and the one that came in 1916 which later was scuttled in Scapa Flow in 1919. So most sellers are going to try to attribute their tally to the "Heldenschiff" Hero's ship and not to the lesser known ship with the same name. Keep that in mind. Unless, you happen to have some good provenance like I am sharing with you in this thread.
Now, those ships like the Emden and the Wolf, Seeadler, Möwe, etc.. They are always going to favor a high price. For other seasoned and those with huge collections of Mützenbänder, they try to go for more of the obscure units, ones that weren't in service for a long time and had a very small cadre of personnel assigned to it. Airship tallies are also quite expensive although, from the Pickelhaube markets are, it really isn't that unreasonable. Bottom line, These units are all over 100 years old. When they transitioned to the Reichsmarine afterwords, they were reclassified so ships like the S.M.S Schleswig-Holstein were titled for the Mützenband as Linienschiff Schleswig-Holstein. Of course, by this time they also did away with the silver, red and gold script and went with the golden thread color all around. SMS EMDEN Collage JustinG.jpg
Best Regards,
JustinG

The naval side tends to be overlooked by a number of collectors. This area is quite fascinating to me. I love the naval side of the conflicts. Germany might have been grossly outnumbered in its fleet compared to the Royal Navy and other Allied navies; but the history is incredible. The Battle of Jutland, the Battle of Falklands, the Coronel Islands, Helgoland bight, there are so many numerous engagements. We tend to overlook those. The Mützenband of a specific ship or unit is as comparable to having shoulder epaulettes or having a pickelhaube dealing with a unit that took place on a specific battle/campaign. I'll get off my collecting soap box now. Mützenband collecting is a favorite and a passion for me. Thank you for learning about such an incredible part of collecting. Thanks for looking.

Best Regards,
JustinG

This is true, Naval is most often overlooked, and it is unfortunate, as it is very cool, and one of my favorite things, not just German, but in general. I particularly like cap tallies, they are good for a person such as myself, for the reason that they are easy to display properly, and there are of course many to find and collect. Right now I do not have any tallies on their own, however I have recently acquired a full Tally Cap from S.M.S. Hohenzollern, that was of course the Kaiser's private yacht constructed in 1892, (that I will post on here at some point.)

Naval items also have a particular importance to me, because it is what actually got me into this hobby. When I was young, I had a fascination with everything that had to do with maritime and nautical matters, and as such found a natural Naval interest, witch led to my interest in this hobby, and the best part about that, is I have an early start on things, I have only just begun.
Anyhow, a very nice collection you have, and I really like the way you have pictured them.

Back