Pictures

joerookery

I have received a series of comments that make it pretty obvious that it is too difficult for some people to put up pictures. We have to change something. We need an easy "method of putting up pictures" which will no doubt require more storage – bandwidth – cost. I don't think there is any choice other than to do this. Maybe I'm wrong and the status quo is okay. But there are many people who do not put up pictures because it is too hard. I don't know how to do this, I don't know how to manage it, I don't know what the cost is. What do you all think? What can we do to keep the cost low? Is there a service that does this routinely?

I think it's an excellent idea that will make the forum much more attractive. When uploading pics with the forum's tool, I can only post those thumbnails... Then you have to click each picture seperately to see them full size. It would be better to upload them while the forum automaticly adjusts them to the right size.
It also would be easier to have the posibility to upload several pictures in one take instead of uploading them seperately.
What the cost are to make the changes, I really don't know, maybe you can ask Doug Buhler some questions about that. He is seriously involved with GHW2 (German Helmet Walhalla2) and I'm sure he knows a lot about this...

Adler

I use photobucket and haven't had a problem - full size test photo below. No idea if this is because of Photobucket, the forum, or my computer!

Patrick

I use Flickr and have no problems at all. However, many do. Your picture looks great but requires you to maintain a photo bucket account. I have to maintain a separate Flickr account. The thought is to make it a one-stop process. I don't know maybe it's not that big a thing.

Here is a copy of an email I just sent Gus on this issue:

Hi Gus: I will email our tech support and see what he says, perhaps he has some suggestions. However, hosting pictures does not only have the ability to skyrocket our bandwidth usage, it also plays a big part on what solid storage we have, which would then be used up by pictures. More band width/storage usage obviously means more money and there are hundreds of freeloaders out there who don't contribute. I do not lose sleep over that fact, but it is the reality of the situation. Photo Bucket is also a much more stable host platform for pictures than our little forum.
The other thought that comes to mind is, what level of computer skills do these complainants have? Who says that us going to all the trouble and possible dangers of picture hosting from the forum is going to change things and encourage them to post?? Some people will always have trouble with anything computer related. It does not get much easier than the way things are being done now.
I am thinking of writing a tutorial/guide with images on how to properly upload photos to the forum using Photobucket. I will get Logan to help me with that.

Adler: I do not experience the "thumb nail" problem with posting pics and never have. I would ask forum members....is this a common problem?

am thinking of writing a tutorial/guide with images on how to properly upload photos to the forum using Photobucket. I will get Logan to help me with that.

That might just do it.

OK, we will start the write up this weekend and get it posted asap. It will be posted in its own special section so it can be easily found. Regarding my "free loader" comment, there are at maximum 12 people who give support on a regular basis year after year and I thank them very much for that. On the other hand, there are 1,247 members with access to all that this forum has to offer.

I use Photobucket and have found it easy to post. Just have to remember to use the Img button.

Exactly....click on the Img button in the forum tool bar and paste your picture code from Photobucket. Photobucket has made it even easier than before...instead of having to drag your cursor accross the picture url all you have to do is left click on it and its captured and ready to post on the forum. However, Logan and I will compose a step by step explanation of the process in the next few days.

b.loree said:
OK, we will start the write up this weekend and get it posted asap. It will be posted in its own special section so it can be easily found. Regarding my "free loader" comment, there are at maximum 12 people who give support on a regular basis year after year and I thank them very much for that. On the other hand, there are 1,247 members with access to all that this forum has to offer.[/quote

Brian

Very fair point. I have donated in the past but had forgotten all about this. Just rectified the omission!

Maybe an an annual reminder in the 'help with forum fees' thread would stimulate more support. It was a reminder a couple of years ago that got me doing something.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, your support is much appreciated. This forum was not set up to make money, that's why there are no pop up advertisements or mandatory fees. The forum tech fees are not huge. I am half Scottish myself and raised by a war bride from Edinburgh, as such I do not like asking people for money, nor do I like owing anyone . However, I do feel bad for the "loyal few" who help out every year while the majority sits on their duffs. Perhaps, this thread and my comments will create some reaction?? Tony Schnurr has experienced the same problem....he puts up a massive pickelhaube/militaria web site, the largest in the world and gets little/no support for costs. I would also add that no donation is too small, it not the money, it is the feeling of being appreciated and respected for one's efforts year after year.

Back