84/98nA S Jasta 11 Marked Bayonet w/ frog and troddel

seitengewehr98

Hello gents! I'm hoping that you guys find this one at least somewhat interesting. Now according to the Regimental marking experts (such as Jeff Noll), the regimental marking on this bayonet, which reads Fl.A.J.11. stands for Flieger Abteilung Jagdstaffel (Jasta) 11, which we all know is certainly one of the most famous flying units in the world. The regimental is not within the 1909 Vorschrift uber das Stempen der Handwaffen, D.V.E. 185, however even prior to the war, the standards were not always followed, and wartime markings seldomly adhere to these standards. I point this out as the first letter is a script F, which according to regulation should mean Funker for the telephone companies in Telegraph units. However, it is now generally accepted that it can also be used to denote Flieger, as the early shoulder boards of aviation units used that script F.

The bayonet is an S84/98nA Sawback, with proper frog, and a rare Prussian Kapitulanten troddel, indicating the 2nd Company (which I put on as I don't yet have a bayonet marked to the 2nd company of any Prussian unit).

I hope you guys enjoy! And if you don't, you'll have to face the wrath of this combat infantryman! :-x

MyPrideandJoy1.jpg

MyPrideandJoy2.jpg

MyPrideandJoy3.jpg

seitengewehr98 said:
//if you don't, you'll have to face the wrath of this combat infantryman!
Armed with a lethal bayonet, no less. Thanks for posting the pictures and information.

I'm impressed.

Chas.

seitengewehr98 said:
//the first letter is a script F, which according to regulation should mean Funker for the telephone companies in Telegraph units.

Also I believe "Fernsprecher" (telephone) which was denoted with a F above a number on a sleeve patch.

Back