Help: Kokarden Challenges

827_Katie

Good evening I hope you all are well! I am back once again with another question for my research. I am reading back through a pickelhaube reference book, and I am slightly confused on kokades.

I first want to make sure that my knowledge is correct:

From 1871-1897, the left kokade would represent the state of origin, where the right side is the Land-Kokade (which is Prussia with the exception of Baden, Bavaria, Hesse, Schwerin, Strelitz, Saxony and Wurttemburg, which did not have a kokade on the left.)

And from 1897-1916, all pickelhauben had the reichskokarde on the right side, and their state kokade on the left.

My question is, if all this is true, then why can’t I find many examples? For example, all of the M1895s that I find online have the reichskokarde even though it wasn’t introduced until 1897. Is this maybe because the helmet was updated, by adding on the reichskokarde even though it was a model 1895? I even saw an older model (1890 or so) with the reichskokarde.

I’m just really confused why I can’t find an example of a pickelhaube that has its state kokade and then the Prussian Kokade, like it would be before 1897.

Does anyone maybe have an explanation? I feel like I’m missing something.

Thank you,
Katie :)

Last edited:
Katie,
I wrote a detailed article about cockades on pickelhauben which should answer your questions.
Please have a look:
  • Between 1871 and 1897 the Prussian cockades were to be worn right. With the signing of the military conventions for the North German Confederation and the founding of the German Empire, the armies of many smaller German states were integrated into the Prussian Army. That‘s why the soldiers of these states wore the Prussian cockade on the left and the cockade of their home country on the right.
  • Between 1871 and 1897 the „Reichskokarde“ didn’t exist. It was introduced in 1897, so helmets of this period shouldn‘t wear a “Reichskokarde“.
  • With the introduction of this „Reichskokarde“ in 1897, the state cockade switched to the left side and the „Reichskokarde“ took the place on the right side of the helmet. In the case of the non-Prussian countries, whose armies were integrated into the Prussian Army around 1870, the soldiers wore the cockade of their home country on the left side from 1897 onwards and discarded the Prussian cockade.
  • The reason why all helmets M1895 have a „Reichskokarde“ is, that the helmets from before 1897 have been updated in acc. to the rule of 1897.

Last edited:
Katie,
I wrote a detailed article about cockades on pickelhauben which should answer your questions.
Please have a look:
  • Between 1871 and 1897 the Prussian cockades were to be worn left. With the signing of the military conventions for the North German Confederation and the founding of the German Empire, the armies of many smaller German states were integrated into the Prussian Army. That‘s why the soldiers of these states wore the Prussian cockade on the left and the cockade of their home country on the right.
  • Between 1871 and 1897 the „Reichskokarde“ didn’t exist. It was introduced in 1897, so helmets of this period shouldn‘t wear a “Reichskokarde“.
  • With the introduction of this „Reichskokarde“ in 1897, the state cockade switched to the left side and the „Reichskokarde“ took the place on the right side of the helmet. In the case of the non-Prussian countries, whose armies were integrated into the Prussian Army around 1870, the soldiers wore the cockade of their home country on the left side from 1897 onwards and discarded the Prussian cockade.
  • The reason why all helmets M1895 have a „Reichskokarde“ is, that the helmets from before 1897 have been updated in acc. to the rule of 1897.
Thank you so much for your help!

I should mention, I didn’t realize but I meant to put “1897-1916” for the reichskokarde, that was my mistake, but I do appreciate you pointing it out! Would it be 1916 or 1918, because even up until 1918, officers still wore the pickelhaube I think, I’m not sure.

I will check out your article as well! Thank you for clearing everything up, so it is true that the 1895 was updated to meet the standards of the 1897, so that is why I have so much difficulty finding an example. Your article on the spike as well is very helpful, and also helped me come up with an idea of how it was used.

Thank you Sandmann,
Katie :)

Back