I need help authenticating, finding unit, and maker.. if it is possible

I am new to collecting Picklehaube and got my first one just yesterday for $380… I noticed the stitching is weird and I have only seen it on one other pickelhaube… another this is that there are extra holes where the eagle goes… there is a really faded stamp in it too!
Someone on Reddit told me to post it here and said it could be a a Picklehaube that was in storage then reissued and modified to meet the m1915 standards which does explain the stitching and extra holes! I would like to hear your guys opinions! 😃

Attachments

• IMG_4153.jpeg
    IMG_4153.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4154.jpeg
    IMG_4154.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4155.jpeg
    IMG_4155.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4156.jpeg
    IMG_4156.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4157.jpeg
    IMG_4157.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4171.jpeg
    IMG_4171.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4167.jpeg
    IMG_4167.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7204.jpeg
    IMG_7204.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
Hi,
It looks like an older helmet refurbished with field grey fittings. Hard to say when that was done, but this was quite a common practice at the time so it could well be a period adaptation.
Congratulations!
Regards,
Lars

Congratulations on your purchase of a very nice looking helmet.

I agree with what Lars has said. When I see the darkened underside of the visors on a helmet which has either white or yellow colored arsenal markings, this is usually a known sign that the helmet is an arsenal re-work helmet, modified and repaired from old stock helmets in storage and re-issued during the war.

Sometimes we see evidence of re-stitching on the visors, and around the side area with the reinforcement leather piece located above the wearer's ears, where the M91 side post attachment lugs are located for the chinstrap attachment.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Hi,

I agree with what Lars has said. When I see the darkened underside of the visors on a helmet which has either white or yellow colored arsenal markings, this is usually a known sign that the helmet is an arsenal re-work helmet, modified and repaired from old stock helmets in storage and re-issued during the war.

Sometimes we see evidence of re-stitching on the visors, and around the side area with the reinforcement leather piece located above the wearer's ears, where the M91 side post attachment lugs are located for the chinstrap attachment.

Best Wishes,

Alan
Thank you so much! I was wondering what those markings meant since I saw a very similar helmet with the same stitching and markings sell on axis militaia!

Hi,

Best Wishes,

Alan
I did some more research and found out it’s one of the ones where the visors are made from pressed paper or cardboard and painted black!

Back