Kaiserliche Kriegsflagge 1918

RON

Sometime ago, I shared with you a photo of my 1903-Pattern Kaiserliche Kriegsflagge dated 1918:
GermanWarFlag-1871-1919.jpg

I took more closeups of my imperial war flag that was probably made of wool—don't really know what the (coarse) fabric is but, except for the (white) seams and bunting, it isn't cotton for sure.

The bunting’s white cotton trim is marked with black ink stamps that include to the reverse the designation abbreviation: "Gaffel Flg." (??? + Flagge/Flag) and the flag dimensions: 1.2x2m. On the obverse, the typical eagle over "M" acceptance stamping is absent—gone to time?—however there’s a faint "1" to the upper edge followed by what is most likely an "8" which would make the manufacturing date (1918):
GermanKaiserlicheKriegsflaggeNationalWarFlagP190312x2m-1918b.jpg

GermanKaiserlicheKriegsflaggeNationalWarFlag12x2m-1918g.jpg

Another thing I noticed is what looks to be blue-colored staining all over the white bunting trim that could have resulted from some attempt to wash the flag at some point?
GermanKaiserlicheKriegsflaggeNationalWarFlag12x2m-1918j.jpg
GermanKaiserlicheKriegsflaggeNationalWarFlag12x2m-1918i.jpg

I recently tested the flag under a UV light and have been confused by the results ever since... The (white cotton) seams glow and so do the (white cotton) suspension rope and bunting trim... However, the flag conforms to the 1903 pattern, smells old and has moth & track damage all over. But then again, the latter only means the flag is 'old' but doesn't necessarily mean it’s 'WW1 old'... :-?
GermanKaiserlicheKriegsflaggeNationalWarFlag12x2m-1918k.jpg

GermanKaiserlicheKriegsflaggeNationalWarFlag12x2m-1918m.jpg

GermanKaiserlicheKriegsflaggeNationalWarFlag12x2m-1918o.jpg

GermanKaiserlicheKriegsflaggeNationalWarFlag12x2m-1918p.jpg
GermanKaiserlicheKriegsflaggeNationalWarFlag12x2m-1918r.jpg

I bought it a couple of years back from a retired Canadian Colonel during a gun show in Montreal. It wasn't cheap and I'm now dreading the obvious.............. What do you make of this? [-o<

Hey Al,
That's what I'm hoping happened but then again, why would anyone wash--and thus risk damaging--such a flag in the first place? :-k

P.S. Any idea what 'Gaffel Flg.' means?

RON said:
Hey Al,
That's what I'm hoping happened but then again, why would anyone wash--and thus risk damaging--such a flag in the first place? :-k

Of course you are talking about washing the flag now. 20, 30 or 40 years ago...not so much of a problem. And the high phosphate detergents of the time would make it glow like a set of headlights

Keith

Hey Keith,
Let's say some previous owner did wash it. What I still don't get is the fact the blue 'stains'--that could be the result of discoloration/color dilution caused by washing dark & light colors together--can only be seen on the (white cotton) bunting trim but nowhere on the wool or whatever the flag's fabric is...

RON said:
I suppose the English term is gaff rig which is the traditional place for the national flag. Therefore it is often called Gaffelflagge.

649-7402.jpg

I guess you're right Robert, thanks!
GaffofShip.jpg

Here's a gaff flag on a German dreadnought:
Navy-1915-4.jpg

And speaking of German imperial warships, here's a nice link I just discovered: http://www.cityofart.net/bship/frames7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KaiserlicheMarine-1.gif

RON said:
Hey Keith,
Let's say some previous owner did wash it. What I still don't get is the fact the blue 'stains'--that could be the result of discoloration/color dilution caused by washing dark & light colors together--can only be seen on the (white cotton) bunting trim but nowhere on the wool or whatever the flag's fabric is...

Ron

If you are talking about the edges, that would not be that unusual, since the thicker edges would sop up any moisture and well as the detergents during washing and it is usually concentrated there

Keith

Nice link too... I really need to learn German now.

Here's how the Kaiserliche Kriegsflagge evolved from 1871 all the way until it was abolished on Sep. 27, 1919 (see towards bottom of page): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichskriegsflagge#Imperial_Germany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My flag is obviously the last imperial pattern used (1903-1919) although there seems to have been slight variations with eagle design depending on maker.
PrussianInfantryOfficerPickelhaubeM1915zm.jpg

Here's another not so cheap Gaffelflagge with a similar marking only better showing--I guess that one wasn't washed like my flag--and the same eagle design as mine...
http://www.regimentals.co.uk/viewphoto.php?shoph=58012&phqu=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3littleweasels said:
Hey Ron,
I,ve heard washing items makes stitching/parts glow.-Al

So does starches. the only way to be sure about the materials being modern is testing it with a flame. if a thread burns fast like a plastic, with black smoke, it's probably got some nylon in it. but if it burns slowly it will be natural. but that still does not make it a real flag it only gives it a better chance.

the only way to be sure about the materials being modern is testing it with a flame. if a thread burns fast like a plastic, with black smoke, it's probably got some nylon in it. but if it burns slowly it will be natural.

Similar test are often used on strands of hair from plumes.

Back