Körting & Mathiesen-the elusive helmet maker K&M

Stahlhelm

Those interested in and keeping track of WW1 German helmet manufacturers and codes will know that a small number of the 13 helmet makers turn up far less frequently than others. Although Körting & Mathiesen is listed as a manufacturer of steel helmets in Baer's books and elsewhere, it was only within the past two years that I first saw an actual example of a K&M stamped helmet.

Körting & Mathiesen (which also operated under the name Kandem) are best known for manufacturing lamps, including searchlights during WW1. It's likely that they were contracted to manufacture steel helmets for only a very short period of time and that they only made one size, as all known examples are M16s, shell size 68.

This is my first helmet of 2011 as well as my first K&M. The shell has daubed on camo consisting of red, light & dark green and a few splotches of white, with much of the field grey paint left bare. The helmet is complete with it's original liner, including all cushions, and chinstrap; the drawstring was added to complete it.

110_0012_edited-copy-1.jpg

110_0010_edited-copy.jpg

110_0013_edited-copy.jpg

110_0015_edited-copy.jpg

110_0014_edited-copy-1.jpg

DSCF9065-copy_edited-copy.jpg

The smelting lot number in this helmet, R302, is the highest of the four K&M stamped examples I've seen. The other three were all in the 200 range.

DSCF9063_edited-copy.jpg

DSCF9082_edited-copy.jpg

DSCF9064-copy.jpg

DSCF9066_edited-copy.jpg

DSCF9118-copy-1.jpg

Chip Minx said:
Very nice Hans. Are there any distinguishing features for this particular manufacturer?

Thanks,
Chip

Chip, that's a very good question but a bit tricky to answer. I've never owned another shell size 68 so I can't make a hands-on comparison.

When comparing it to pictures of the other 2 makers (known to me) of that size, it does stand alone in some minor aspects. The visor/neck guard transition on this K&M is steeper than usually seen on T.J. (Thiel) helmets, but has a similar flared rim (when viewed form the top) as often found with Thiel. The flared rim also distinguishes it from typical E.T. helmets.

The most obvious detail unique to K&M helmets is that the maker code is stamped above the size stamp as opposed preceeding it as is normal with all of the other makers. The helmet is very well made with clean lines and shows no major stress marks or flaws. The crimped edge on this one is evenly and cleanly formed; actually the nicest of all my helmets.

I hope this answer was of some use Chip. Thanks for the comments guys.

Hans

Thanks Hans. It's always useful to get the observations of the owner of a scarce helmet, especially in your case, because of your eye for detail.

Regards,
Chip

Hey Hans,
One feature to note on this helmet is the field expedient done to fix the chin strap to the lug, it appears that both lugs have been peened to mushroom the lug so the chin strap can not come off, I have seen a wire hook made to do the same thing, but this is the first that I have seen like this. I would have expected to see many more, as this is the easiest way to stop the chin strap from falling off at an inopportune time.
Best
Gus

Glad you pointed that out Gus. The chinstrap isn't going anywhere with those peened lugs. I've owned a couple of other helmets with the lugs worked that way.

Back