Replacing belt buckles?

TS_Allen

Hello all,

I collect 19th century and pre-WWI uniforms and equipment of all nations and am working on a late nineteenth-century German "dunkelblau" display. I have a XXI-Armeekorps tunic on display now and am waiting on an FA tunic and a pre-1902 field musician's tunic. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about mutzen, pickelhauben, or field equipment for all of the tunics. I only have room on a mannequin for one of the three, which will be the infantry one. If anyone can suggested a source for a cheap dunkelblau mutze, please let me know. I'm also look for a proper set of green shoulder-boards for the infantry tunic, which lost them at some point (possibly in Landssturm use).

Currently, I have a beat-up WWI set of ammunition pouches on a belt with a steel buckle on the infantry mannequin. Rather than finding a whole pre-WWI belt, which doesn't seem to be easy or cheap, is there a way I can just switch out the current buckle with an earlier brass one? Do I need the buckle to still have the tongue attached to do so?

Your advice is greatly appreciated,

~TS

Hey TS, the brass buckles will fit on the belts with the steel fitting, and the steel hook will be hidden by the buckle, but the early belts should be brown, and most were dyed black by the time they were making them with steel fittings.
Best
Gus

Oh, you are going to have a tough time finding a pair of green XXI AK straps. Is the Waffenrock marked to the XXI AK?

dbt36g.jpg

Back