Ugly, but original, and why so cheap?

Tony- good question, Kinder helmet is one thought that did come to my mind on the Tin one I returned. I beleive a cuople other forum members mentioned to me the same thing, so I guess that is possible.

The biggest concern I have is the amount of Tschapka's he has been coming up with lately. He had 3 tin ones like mine listed, and now come the felt ones?

Again, could be he bought a collection etc, but does seem weird.

I am no expert on Tschapka's, but I agree with you, the felt one looks good other then the eagle, but again price is cheap?????

James

I had the same thought but look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRUSSIAN-FELT-TSCHAPKA_W0QQitemZ6560177713QQcategoryZ13971QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maxime :lol:

That is scary. I would love to see one of these with my own eyes. Perhaps they do not look as good as it does in the photos? I have a Luckenwalder Hutfabriken example like the Rastatt example on p.385 of Baer's book which is very well-made and has the Tschapka shape. The one sold as a copy in Maxime's link looks only to be a little sloppy in shape, but otherwise, amazingly close to an original. I am still not sure about the one I originally linked to, other than the slightly odd shape, it looks correct? But now I am having my doubts, as it seems the shape of the skull and visor is also rather "off". :?:

PICKELMAX said:
I had the same thought but look at this:

Well, perhaps not it seems. It turns out the seller of the "museum quality copy" has sold three of these, all with the exact same photos. His other items are all share characteristics that are nothing like the felt photos, which leads me to believe that he has grabbed the felt photos off the net. Based upon the poor quality of his other replica helmets, who-knows what the felt replicas he is selling actually look like, but if his other helmets are an indication, they are probably not very good.

Here's another Ersatz which may have originated in France. It certainly isn't Bing and that Bavarian Wappen leaves something to be desired.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW1-PICKELHAUBE-ERSATZ-BAVARIAN-PLAQUE_W0QQitemZ6566586212QQcategoryZ13971QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Chas.

just to say i dont upload my photos i dont take pictures of every helmets as they are made all the same and would take a lot of time ,as for the quality my feedback says it all ,hope you all liked my prussian tin tschapkas you were on about ,people shouldnt call others without seeing things first some badges were good enough to be put on one of your members website :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back