Uhlan mortar

As unprofessional as it sounds, I made a 5.5 by 5.5 square and eyeballed the square above my helmet against some photos on the forum and it seemed about right. I didn't want to wait too long as I know these pieces get snatched up pretty quickly.

If memory serves, there was a Canadian dealer in British Columbia who had these and other repro parts made during the 1990’s. They were up for sale on EBay.

Last edited:
Mine is about 5 3/4 inch square.

Attachments

• Compress_20231205_202918_8882.jpg
    Compress_20231205_202918_8882.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: USN
Cannot compare this one to my M1915 Officers Tschapka. These Officers tschapka metal tops will have a more "elegant" neck....

Attachments

• 20231206_095535.jpg
    20231206_095535.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231206_095547.jpg
    20231206_095547.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Jeez USGUPPY !
I monitor US, German and France's eBay 2 times a day.
I never saw this item.
You must have pulled the trigger like Clint Eastwood.
Great score !!!

Hi everyone,

I saw this tschapka top and I was the first one to put it on my watch list. I was tempted to purchase it, but I reconsidered.

There are some signs that it is most likely a repo:

1) The metal edges of the square top are not rolled as nice as originals and if you hold a ruler/straight edge against it, it's not perfectly straight.

2) The four hole underneath for a rabbet should be oval, not round.

3) The hole on the top should funnel in somewhat.

4) The holes for the vents on the inside still have what looks like a burr on it from someone drilling it out.

5) The slot for the feldzeichen should be longer.

6) This one really stood out for me....the piece inside withe hole that the a strip of leather is tied to should have a divet.

7) There are no notches near the locks

8) I owned one EXACTLY like this before. I bought it from a guy in British Columbia too about 7 years ago. It had EXACTLY all of the same features I listed above as this tschapka top on Ebay.

In saying all this, it's still a pretty damn good reproduction, especially for $125!

PS. I actually spoke to the guy who made them and he said he put a Canadian mapke leaf in some.

Adam

Hi everyone,

I saw this tschapka top and I was the first one to put it on my watch list. I was tempted to purchase it, but I reconsidered.

There are some signs that it is most likely a repo:

1) The metal edges of the square top are not rolled as nice as originals and if you hold a ruler/straight edge against it, it's not perfectly straight.

2) The four hole underneath for a rabbet should be oval, not round.

3) The hole on the top should funnel in somewhat.

4) The holes for the vents on the inside still have what looks like a burr on it from someone drilling it out.

5) The slot for the feldzeichen should be longer.

6) This one really stood out for me....the piece inside withe hole that the a strip of leather is tied to should have a divet.

7) There are no notches near the locks

8) I owned one EXACTLY like this before. I bought it from a guy in British Columbia too about 7 years ago. It had EXACTLY all of the same features I listed above as this tschapka top on Ebay.

In saying all this, it's still a pretty damn good reproduction, especially for $125!

PS. I actually spoke to the guy who made them and he said he put a Canadian mapke leaf in some.

Adam
I'll be checking for that when it arrives, thank you!

Some great observations,

That's another problem with so many looking to buy. When you see something that looks good at first glance you really don't have enough time to think about it with a buy it now because you know there are 10 people behind you with their fingers already on the button.

Like already mentioned, regardless of originality find a reproduction this good for 125 bucks. You really can't loose its a great space filler until you find another one.

If it is a reproduction :unsure: its a score if not its an even bigger score(y)

Hats off to the maker for putting a maple leaf on his reproductions, that shows class and character. 🍻

Last edited:
The board has arrived and I do see many matching issues from what Pontiac said, however I do not see a maple leaf andthe metal on the inside that didn't receive a full coat of paint looks pretty new and by now most definitely would have started to corrode in some way so I will agree that it's a reproduction.

Last edited:
For that price, one cannot complains.

I did write to the seller to see if he has more of the motar boards to sell. I need 6 of them and he said he didn't have any spares.

Well i will continue to wait for the parts. Waiting is part of the fun of this hobby

Back