Wurttemberg Pickelhaube / Spiked Helmet Help Needed

stahlhelms

I am relatively a novice when it comes to spiked helmets, but I pick them up from time to time.
This particular helmet was gifted to me from someone whose family member had it from the 1960s.
I am assuming the chin scales are not correct as it is an EM/NCO helmet. The holes for the plate are punched in addition to the factory holes.
Am I looking at a completely put together helmet?
Do the cockades look ok?
The price was right, so I can't complain, but I am trying to learn what I have.
Thanks in advance.
Rob20240623_183647.jpg20240623_183706.jpg20240623_183717.jpg20240623_183835.jpg

Hello Rob,

Thanks for posting this helmet here.

It appears to be a wartime Model 1915 helmet that has had the steel fittings on the helmet painted gold at some point of time after the war.

It also appears that the Wurttemburg wappen or front plate emblem on this helmet has been added incorrectly to this helmet.

Might we be able to see if there are any issue unit markings on the underside of the back visor? These would likely be underneath where your hand is holding the helmet for the last photo you posted showing the interior of your helmet.

If this helmet is indeed a wartime Model 1915 helmet, the brass chin scale set would be incorrect for this helmet. The helmet would have used a leather chinstrap.

I'm wondering if this helmet might have originally had a Hessen front plate emblem on it, because I see a "Maury & Cie, 1915, Offenbach" maker's mark inside the helmet body. If that is true, it would explain why we can see the two metal grommet hole rings peeking out from the left and right side of the Wurttemburg wappen or front plate emblem.

I'll wait and see if you notice any black ink stamped markings on the underside of the back visor of your helmet.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Hello Rob,

Thanks for posting this helmet here.

It appears to be a wartime Model 1915 helmet that has had the steel fittings on the helmet painted gold at some point of time after the war.

It also appears that the Wurttemburg wappen or front plate emblem on this helmet has been added incorrectly to this helmet.

Might we be able to see if there are any issue unit markings on the underside of the back visor? These would likely be underneath where your hand is holding the helmet for the last photo you posted showing the interior of your helmet.

If this helmet is indeed a wartime Model 1915 helmet, the brass chin scale set would be incorrect for this helmet. The helmet would have used a leather chinstrap.

I'm wondering if this helmet might have originally had a Hessen front plate emblem on it, because I see a "Maury & Cie, 1915, Offenbach" maker's mark inside the helmet body. If that is true, it would explain why we can see the two metal grommet hole rings peeking out from the left and right side of the Wurttemburg wappen or front plate emblem.

I'll wait and see if you notice any black ink stamped markings on the underside of the back visor of your helmet.

Best Wishes,

Alan
Alan,
Thanks for the info.
The group I got may include a Hennen Wappen... I will have to look. Would you suggest swapping parts that make sense?

Alan,
Thanks for the info.
The group I got may include a Hennen Wappen... I will have to look. Would you suggest swapping parts that make sense?

Hi Rob,

Yes, if you have a Hessen wappen. I would suggest trying to see if it will fit on this helmet of yours.

The leather helmet body has a Hessen maker mark inside, "Maury & Cie., Offenbach". We typically see this maker mark inside Hessen helmets.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Back