A PB10 M60 to clean and readjust

CLOVIS 57

Hello,
Born in Metz, and living near Gravelotte-Saint-Privat, I'm particularly interested in the models of spiked helmets worn during the “Franco-German” war, and especially those of the regiments that fought in the siege of Metz (battles of Borny-Colombey-Nouilly-Noisseville-Gravelotte-Rezonville-Saint-Privat etc.).
This helmet was offered at an auction, with the caption “aigle de la garde postérieur” (rear guard eagle).
Corroded and muddy, this helmet deserved a face-lift and an overhaul, notably with the exchange of the Garde-Adler M95, with a suitable M60 eagle. M60 PB10 AV1.JPGM60 PB10 AV4.JPGM60 PB10 AV2.JPG

Although this eagle had a homogeneous, old patina, it was certainly composite and anachronistic.
M60 PB10 AV6 GardeAdlerM95.JPG

Here's the shell:

M60 PB10 dépouillé1.JPG

The advantage of the 60 models is that the gaskets are screwed on and can therefore be unscrewed without causing any damage.

M60 PB10 dépouillé3.JPGM60 PB10 dépouillé5.JPG
M60 PB10 dépouillé7.JPG
Cleaning revealed nickel silver fittings. As the tip was fixed, this was not a Guard helmet. This was confirmed by the marking that appeared after washing the neck cover: P.B.10 1C. PB 10 (Hanover)👍
1870/71 contre la France : (20th Inf. Div., X. Army Corps) batailles à Vionville - Mars la Tour, à Gravelotte - St. Privat, sorties à Bellevue et Franclonchamps, avant-poste bataille à Ladonchamps et St. Rémy, batailles à Woippy-Bellevue, à Ladonchamps et Maizières.

Here after restoration :
M60 PB10 Ensuite1.JPGM60 PB10 ensuite2.JPGM60 PB10 ensuite3.JPGM60 PB10 ensuite4.JPG
M60 PB10 ensuite5.JPG

I'm very happy to have been able to get my hands on this PB10 M60. M60s and M67s (untransformed M71s) are already rare in line infantry, so in Pioneer, Gardist, Grenadier, it's even rarer.
In 1899, the Kaiser granted the PB10 eagle the 2 banners of the Hanoverian battles: Peninsula - Waterloo.

Last edited:
Hello,
Born in Metz, and living near Gravelotte-Saint-Privat, I'm particularly interested in the models of spiked helmets worn during the “Franco-German” war, and especially those of the regiments that fought in the siege of Metz (battles of Borny-Colombey-Nouilly-Noisseville-Gravelotte-Rezonville-Saint-Privat etc.).
This helmet was offered at an auction, with the caption “aigle de la garde postérieur” (rear guard eagle).
Corroded and muddy, this helmet deserved a face-lift and an overhaul, notably with the exchange of the Garde-Adler M95, with a suitable M60 eagle. View attachment 44833View attachment 44836View attachment 44835

Although this eagle had a homogeneous, old patina, it was certainly composite and anachronistic.
View attachment 44837

Here's the shell:

View attachment 44838

The advantage of the 60 models is that the gaskets are screwed on and can therefore be unscrewed without causing any damage.

View attachment 44840View attachment 44841
View attachment 44842
Cleaning revealed nickel silver fittings. As the tip was fixed, this was not a Guard helmet. This was confirmed by the marking that appeared after washing the neck cover: P.B.10 1C. PB 10 (Hanover)👍
1870/71 contre la France : (20th Inf. Div., X. Army Corps) batailles à Vionville - Mars la Tour, à Gravelotte - St. Privat, sorties à Bellevue et Franclonchamps, avant-poste bataille à Ladonchamps et St. Rémy, batailles à Woippy-Bellevue, à Ladonchamps et Maizières.

Here after restoration :
View attachment 44843View attachment 44844View attachment 44845View attachment 44846
View attachment 44847

I'm very happy to have been able to get my hands on this PB10 M60. M60s and M67s (untransformed M71s) are already rare in line infantry, so in Pioneer, Gardist, Grenadier, it's even rarer.
In 1899, the Kaiser granted the PB10 eagle the 2 banners of the Hanoverian battles: Peninsula - Waterloo.
That is a very nice helmet
but , what is ever better is the great job that you did
to clean it up
Steve

Clovis
Fantastic work bringing life back in to this Pickelhaube. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Best regards
John

Back