Baden pioneer, question.

stuka f

hello all,
here is a configuration I would like to understand.
Ornaments and spike are white, chinscale is flat and gold.
So far, I am cool.
But the spike removes as the M 15 and the liner is the one you should expect in a officer's helmet.
And the officer's cocardes...?

Attachments

• genie baden.jpg
    genie baden.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 27
  • genie badenn.jpg
    genie badenn.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 28
  • genie badennn.jpg
    genie badennn.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 26
  • genie badennnn.jpg
    genie badennnn.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 26
  • genie badennnnnn.jpg
    genie badennnnnn.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 26
  • genie badennnnn.jpg
    genie badennnnn.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 28
Are the fittings magnetic?
Same question. You have to test them one by one, because the point base and the point should be made of nickel-plated iron. This type of M15 "troop" deboatable point exists in brass (or nickel silver) but is extremely rare.

The bottom view shows an Extra-Helm but for an enlisted soldier or non-commissioned officer. Officers were obliged to wear green visors and red headgear. The chinstrap rosettes are not the "officer" model either. In fact, it's only the roundels that are an officer's model.

Could just be someone's project/ attempt at piecing together a baden pioneer officer for some unknown reason.

This helmet is 'composite', meaning that the 'Eigentum-Extra-Helm' shell has been fitted with M15 chrome 'Kammer' trim.
The rear spine was unventilated, and fixed by a threaded post, so you can still see the trace inside. The shell is stitched, and is not designed to accept the M95 "Kammer" spine as shown here. The top flap does not correspond to a ventilation hole in the leather, and neither does the return under the head cover.
The rear spine is too short, and the base of the tip shows traces of the old, slightly larger one.
Capt.GIFCap.GIF
I need a photo of the hull front without the griffin and a photo of the rear of the griffin, to see the fixings.

Thanks Clovis.
Here are the pic's you asked for.
The wappen is held with leather wigs.
The left wing tip (of the wappen), has left a print into the helmet.
The third hole on the left , next to the wappen, seems a recent dammage (judging by the fresh brown color of the leather hull) to me....

Attachments

• genie badennnnnnn.jpg
    genie badennnnnnn.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 14
  • genie badennnnnnnn.jpg
    genie badennnnnnnn.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 14
  • genie badennnnnnnnn.jpg
    genie badennnnnnnnn.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Clovis.
Here are the pic's you asked for.The wappen is held with leather wigs.The left wing tip (of the wappen), has left a print into the helmet.
The third hole on the left , next to the wappen, seems a recent dammage (judging by the fresh brown color of the leather hull) to me....
Thank you.
Indeed, without the eyelet, this is a privately-purchased Extra-Helm hull. But the griffin is indeed an M95 "Kammer" model, regulation for enlisted. Although the mark in the leather shows that it has been there for some time, this is not normal.
We therefore have a commercial Extra-Helm hull, reassembled with regulation fittings M15 in chrome Iron.

Thanks Clovis.
If this "job" had been done after WWI, they seems to have know what they were doing by using (more or less...)the right configuration regarding chinstrap, and not using officers spike and wappen...for instance...
What I mean is that it was probably not ment to decieve...

Officers were obliged to wear green visors and red headgear.
That´s not true!
Less fortunated officers could also buy less luxurious helmets without the thin red and green covers on the visors. No obligation of that!
Philippe

That´s not true!
Less fortunated officers could also buy less luxurious helmets without the thin red and green covers on the visors. No obligation of that!
Philippe
Hello Philippe,
Thank you for your comment, contradiction is always interesting.

I see that the translation has been messing around again. I didn't mean "obliged". Let's say customary. But it doesn't matter:
---Let's just say that my observation of hundreds of "0fficier" helmets shows a visor and a coloured helmet cover in green and red underneath.
---This colouring must not have cost much extra, because the oilcloth on the Eigentum of the one-year enlisted men, for example, was brown, and so must have cost about the same.
---I'm not talking about the war helmets of the 0ffizierstellvertreter.
Here is a 0fficer's helmet cap, one of hundreds, from the M42.
DR71-97  0ff.jpg
M43 Général.jpg
Here is un Extra-Helm property for one-year volunteer among others :
Eigentum  Einjfreiw..jpg
The quality of the materials and finish on this helmet are on a par with other officer helmets, but not in green and red.

In conclusion :

green and red colours are the prerogative of an officer's helmet in the vast majority of cases, and vice versa, beige for 'non-officers'. The reverse may be true, but these are the exceptions that confirm the rule, as we say in France.

Back