Bremen M1891 - second attempt!

WEIMAR

Hi all

Skipper John has kindly helped me use Picorator so hopefully some pictures will be attached.

I recently got this helmet which appears to be an M1891. It is much heavier than any M1895, has wide front and rear peaks, no ventilator on back spine, large domes on the side posts and the wappen is fixed by threaded bolts and square nuts. The spike is a standard 5 hole fixed pattern and there are no reinforcing grommets on the wappen mounting holes.

The front peak rim is marked "CLEMEN" and so are the two wide, thick strap lugs. The strap buckles have offset centre bars unlike normal centre bars which are flush with the buckle frames.

The right rear peak is stamped JR75 and 1893 whilst the left peak is stamped, I think, 1K75JR. The latter is very weak and has not photographed well. The left cockade is a red Maltese cross on white background, which, according to the books is correct for a pre-1897 Bremen. When the helmet arrived it had a Reichskokarde on the right side which would not be correct pre-1897 so I have changed it for a Prussian black/white.

Hope you like the helmet - and I keep my fingers crossed about the photos.

WEIMAR

Looks nice. Can we get a photo of the entire helmet?
You can add more than one photo to a post. Just keep copying the different links and adding them to the post.

John :)

Back