Didier Laine 1984 L'Armee Allemande en 1914

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
This has always been my favourite source, it is so easy to use because everything is listed in order, by regimental number. For each Regiment there is information on wappen, uniform colours, shoulder straps etc. The descriptions are in French, German and English. Once again, no bibliography just an acknowledgement of the help from the "Uber Collectors" of the day at the end of the book. One complaint, the quality of the binding is poor, mine fell apart early on. However this is my go to reference so it gets lots of use.

I purchased another soft cover Laine book recently at the SOS, I had no clue that it existed. It was published in 1998 (ISBN 2-9512030-0-4) and seems to be a more concise, highly organized version of Vol 1. I have not had time to really get into it yet. No bibliography.

Three comments.

The French is not as stifling in this one.
He does not do a great job with Hesse.
The second book goes over relative rarity but only for active units

b.loree said:
This has always been my favourite source, it is so easy to use because everything is listed in order, by regimental number. For each Regiment there is information on wappen, uniform colours, shoulder straps etc. The descriptions are in French, German and English. Once again, no bibliography just an acknowledgement of the help from the "Uber Collectors" of the day at the end of the book. One complaint, the quality of the binding is poor, mine fell apart early on. However this is my go to reference so it gets lots of use.

I purchased another soft cover Laine book recently at the SOS, I had no clue that it existed. It was published in 1998 (ISBN 2-9512030-0-4) and seems to be a more concise, highly organized version of Vol 1. I have not had time to really get into it yet. No bibliography.

I fully concur with what Brian wrote (including the fragility of the binding: I have one copy for common use and a brand new one in reserve). I would add that the book contains gorgeous photographs of sumptuous headgear, from Laine's own collection and other prestigious ones, such as Walther Hartmann's. Didier Laine was a professional printer/editor.

Interesting on how some of us think alike. This is also my favorite book, and I also have one for daily use and one in reserve for future use.

James

Do any of you reference book collectors
know of this other book by Laine ?

I saw this on a list and it marked as SOLD
I have not seen it before
and I missed it when it came out in 1988
Kube sold the first book for Laine
There do not seem to be copies out there ?

LES UNIFORMES DE L'ARMEE ALLEMANDE EN 1914 – UNIFORMES DU TEMPS DE PAIX"
Didier LAINE - Edit.Chromos-Service /Le laboratoire de didier Lainé– Classeur en coffret de luxe –
32 planches A4 PHOTOS SUR PAPIER GLACE d'uniformes de personnages célèbres
(Graf Zeppelin, Krupp, Victoria-Louise, Wilhelm II) TRES RARE 1988 MINT

Thanks
Steve

Steve- yes a very cool loose leaf book in a box. I had never seen it before and purchased mine from Jim T. at the last SOS show. Shows uniforms, helmets, plates etc.

Some example pics below

James

James ;
Thank you very much !
I am happy to finally get an answer .
Also thanks for the extra effort to
post some photos so that I now sort of know what
it is all about .
In this book , it looks like he might have used
museum displays for his photos .
Jim T. told me that he sold his copy at the S O S
but he did not say who to.
So now I know it is you .

If you ever tire of it
let me know

or maybe next S O S you
could bring it with you
and maybe you will let me look it over in person
If we both can remember by then ?

It has to be rare
I have only heard of 2 of them

Thanks
Steve

I could be talked out of the two reference books. They might be rare but I don't use them very much anymore.

Back