Extra-degens of the German states

I love these model swords with the state coat-of-arms on the guard. I've managed to get one from each. From left to right, Hesse, Bavaria, Prussia, Wurtemburg, Saxony and Mecklenburg.
View attachment 43298View attachment 43299
... are all these terrific swords other ranks or troopers' swords and as such are the blades not etched? Would it be appropriate for NCO swords to etched to some degree or was etching of blades restricted or limited to officer's blades...?

Cheers,

David

What a glorious group of cavalry swords - thanks for sharing! If any have etched blades, it would be great to see them.

... are all these terrific swords other ranks or troopers' swords and as such are the blades not etched? Would it be appropriate for NCO swords to etched to some degree or was etching of blades restricted or limited to officer's blades...?

Cheers,

David
These are either trooper or NCO swords. They are private purchase pieces and I find that most of them are etched to some degree. Depends on how much the buyer wanted to spend. Usually, the unit they were in will be etched on the blade. All Bavarian swords will have "In Treue Fest" etched on the blade.

These are either trooper or NCO swords. They are private purchase pieces and I find that most of them are etched to some degree. Depends on how much the buyer wanted to spend. Usually, the unit they were in will be etched on the blade. All Bavarian swords will have "In Treue Fest" etched on the blade.
... interesting that these are private purchase swords and that the blades would be etched to the depth of the purchaser's wallet, as well that all the Bavarian blades would all carry the verbiage "In Treue Fest." I will look forward to your images of the unsheathed blades when you post them... very interesting indeed!

Cheers,

David

... Bob, the blades are fabulous... just gorgeous... the etching still clear and sharp and the bluing, still intact really sets off the etching to best effect. These blades are in remarkably excellent condition, well looked after... I am suitably impressed... thank you so much for sharing these wonderful swords from your collection!!

Cheers,

David

Back