Fixed spike M15 helmets

WEIMAR

Back in 2011 there was an interesting discussion on the forum about these variants and I wonder if we might revive the topic to see if any fresh information about them has come to light since.

I have attached photos of my Prussian infantry example which was made by Wilhelm "something" of Hannover in 1915. Col J lists the same stamp in his makers' mark list but the second word is similarly undeciphered. The neckguard carries a BA X 1915 stamp together with the original wearer's rank and name. I can see that he was a Musketier but I cannot read the name.

I would be interested in members' views on just where these fixed spikers fit into the evolution of the Pickelhaube. It has been suggested to me that they are the very first M15's and were made using old M95 spike tooling prior to the manufacture of the normal bayonet fitting spikes. Certainly sounds possible - but is it correct?

Regards

Peter

Sorry chaps...I posted 5 photos all of which showed up on the preview. No idea why the submitted post only has one!

Peter

At one time I had a Baden M'15 with one of these spikes. It is something I have wondered about for years. Bannerman's (of New York) listed in their catalog from the 1920's these spikes. No helmets just the spike, they claimed they were made for the German victory parade in Paris (creative advertising). The thought had cross my mind that some of these spikes found their way onto helmets after the war.
I'll have to go back and see if I can find the original topic as I don't recall it.

As a kid the first spike helmet I ever saw was an enlisted man's with brass fittings but the spike was a M'15 twist off in brass. I've never seen another one with that. Like I said I was a kid and I maybe mis-remembering ( :scratch: ) or the fittings may have even been painted gold. Was there such a thing as a twist off spike in brass?

Thanks Joe, It may have been an officer's helm, although I thought it was an enlisted. A kid in school pulled it along with a dunkelblau Waffenrock out of a trash can. It was started my interest in die Kaiserzeit.

aicusv said:
As a kid the first spike helmet I ever saw was an enlisted man's with brass fittings but the spike was a M'15 twist off in brass. I've never seen another one with that. Like I said I was a kid and I maybe mis-remembering ( :scratch: ) or the fittings may have even been painted gold. Was there such a thing as a twist off spike in brass?

I confirm. I have seen a few of these seemingly M95 enlisted helmets with detachable M15-like spikes, and they looked perfectly authentic. Rare but genuine, in my opinion.

aicusv said:
Would love to see photos of one - if any one out there has one.
Well here it is. Rarest Wartime spike I am aware of, a one-piece steel spike top with eight (yes EIGHT) ventilation holes around the neck.

aicusv I have sent you a PM. Could you reply or email me please.

8Hole_Spike1.jpg

8Hole_Spike2.jpg

I believe that I posted in 2011 that I have a Wurtt M15 with this type of spike. I still have the helmet in my collection. Never seen that before T!

I have a one piece steel spike on my Prussian tin haube .

It has the standard hole configuration .

It is painted green.

Back