Note the special silver tressa on the straps
SteveView attachment 29679
This was back in the days when we were bidding with the DM
before the Euro
Things were sure less expensive back then
Steve
Steve

Steve,

fantastic boards. I cannot help but feel that Herr Hauptmann was taking liberties if he wore these whilst still as an officer in IR 153. As a Flügeladjutant to the Duke, he would of course have worn the silver piping on the boards. He is listed at the time as an officer in IR 153, kommandiert (attached) as an orderly officer to the Duke and presumably should have still worn regimental uniform with the red underlay of his regiment?

I will get back with biographical information on Herr Renouard.

Regards
Glenn

Just a thought; IR 153 wore the cypher of Herzog Ernst I. It seems to me that these boards could be those of a Flügeladjutant to Ernst I.

Regards
Glenn

Steve,

fantastic boards. I cannot help but feel that Herr Hauptmann was taking liberties if he wore these whilst still as an officer in IR 153. As a Flügeladjutant to the Duke, he would of course have worn the silver piping on the boards. He is listed at the time as an officer in IR 153, kommandiert (attached) as an orderly officer to the Duke and presumably should have still worn regimental uniform with the red underlay of his regiment?

I will get back with biographical information on Herr Renouard.

Regards
Glenn
Glenn
Many thanks
Steve

Steve,

Major Renouard's biography:

Georg Leopold Gustav von Renouard de Viville, born 16 September 1873 at Bromberg, son of the then Premier-Lieutenant (Oberstleutnant) Gustav von Renouard de Viville of Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 9 and adjutant of the 7. Infanterie-Brigade. A former cadet, he entered Grenadier-Reiment Nr. 9 on 22 March 1893 as a charakterisierter Fähnrich and was subsequesntly promoted to Fähnrich on 17 October 1893 and to Seconde-Lieutenant on 18 August 1894.

From 15 May 1897 to 1 October 1897, he was detached for service as the adjutant of Landwehr-Bezirk Stargard and from 1 April 1898 to 31 March 1900 he was assigned as an instructor at the Bensberg cadet school followed by a similar assignment at the Main cadet school in Berlin-Lichterfelde from 1 April 1900 to 1 April 1903. Transferred to Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 153 on the latter date, he was promoted to Oberleutnant on 27 January 1904. From 16 February 1907 to 17 May 1910 he was detached to the war school in Danzig as a syndicate officer. He was detached for service as an orderly officer to the Duke of Sachsen-Altenburg on 8 October 1910 and promoted to Hauptmann on 16 June 1911. He was appointed as a Flügeladjutant to the Duke on 8 October 1912. He left the position of Flügeladjutant on 27 March 1916 and transferred to GR 89. He served in FR 86 from 16 January to 20 March 1917. Promoted to Major on 20 May 1917. He was placed at disposal on 30 August 1919 and was appointed to a retired officers' position as a district officer in Landwehr/Bezirk IV Berlin. He finally retired on 29 March 1920 and was granted the permission to wear the uniform of GR 89 on 24 January 1921. He died in 1933.

Regarding my comments about a Flügeladjutant to Herzog Ernst I, please see this image of Hauptmann Wolfram von Breitenbuch who held that position. This from around 1907/08

Regards
Glenn

Breitenbuch.jpg

Breitenbuch_1.jpg

Steve,

Major Renouard's biography:

Georg Leopold Gustav von Renouard de Viville, born 16 September 1873 at Bromberg, son of the then Premier-Lieutenant (Oberstleutnant) Gustav von Renouard de Viville of Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 9 and adjutant of the 7. Infanterie-Brigade. A former cadet, he entered Grenadier-Reiment Nr. 9 on 22 March 1893 as a charakterisierter Fähnrich and was subsequesntly promoted to Fähnrich on 17 October 1893 and to Seconde-Lieutenant on 18 August 1894.

From 15 May 1897 to 1 October 1897, he was detached for service as the adjutant of Landwehr-Bezirk Stargard and from 1 April 1898 to 31 March 1900 he was assigned as an instructor at the Bensberg cadet school followed by a similar assignment at the Main cadet school in Berlin-Lichterfelde from 1 April 1900 to 1 April 1903. Transferred to Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 153 on the latter date, he was promoted to Oberleutnant on 27 January 1904. From 16 February 1907 to 17 May 1910 he was detached to the war school in Danzig as a syndicate officer. He was detached for service as an orderly officer to the Duke of Sachsen-Altenburg on 8 October 1910 and promoted to Hauptmann on 16 June 1911. He was appointed as a Flügeladjutant to the Duke on 8 October 1912. He left the position of Flügeladjutant on 27 March 1916 and transferred to GR 89. He served in FR 86 from 16 January to 20 March 1917. Promoted to Major on 20 May 1917. He was placed at disposal on 30 August 1919 and was appointed to a retired officers' position as a district officer in Landwehr/Bezirk IV Berlin. He finally retired on 29 March 1920 and was granted the permission to wear the uniform of GR 89 on 24 January 1921. He died in 1933.

Regarding my comments about a Flügeladjutant to Herzog Ernst I, please see this image of Hauptmann Wolfram von Breitenbuch who held that position. This from around 1907/08

Regards
Glenn

View attachment 29690

View attachment 29691
Glenn
Extra nice formation
Thank you very much
Steve

Back