Mecklenburg Feld Artillarie Officer Restoration

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
These are the before fotos of a Mecklenburg Feld Arty officer helme with a special problem which I have never seen before in 20+ years of restorations. I have already solved this problem but I am going to put up these fotos and invite members to post suggestions as to how they would deal with the issue and save the helme! Here we go:

No visible problems from the front, when people send me projects often times I do not need the spike or kugel so why send it?

A beautiful example of a Meck officer kokarde. Still no problems except perhaps those empty stitch holes on the rear visor but hey they could be just due to old age.

The Reichs kokarde side...still nothing major...perhaps? Next we look at the inside of the helme, great liner!

Lets take a peek at what's under that great liner shall we?

WHOA!!! What the hell ????

Houston we have a major problem here!!!

Houston....this Haube has flipped its lid !!

Well dear friends....what would you do? I mean I have a small reputation for fixing hauben....they call me "Doctor Haube"...."The Haube Whisperer". What should I do??? :? What are your suggestions on how to save this helme? Have you seen any other problems that this 100 yr old survivor might have?

Bottom of wappen is either fixed behind the visor or the lower part of the shell to which the visor should be attached or it has been cut off?

Patrick

No, correct as it is. 'Cut' at the bottom. Standard for Grossherzogtum Mecklenburg.
Francis

Another fine project ! On a rare Artillerie helmet ! I would aply silicon on the inside and fill with 'Haube dust cement' on the outside, then shellack.
:eek:
That my idea.
Francis

Some good suggestions...Leone is the closest so far. There is still a second problem that no one has picked up on yet. Remember, if at all possible, the restorer wants his work to go unseen. As for silicone....someone has already tried that. If you look closely at the pic showing the top of the helme you can see silicone residue on the edge of the crack. Yes, I have added shellac to the outside cut made by the kugel base but shellac alone wont provide enough support. Here are some fotos of this very rare wappen:

Thanks for your suggestions friends.....keep them coming! :thumb up:

Brian; Are the wavey lines above the Mecklenburg kokarde silicon residue?? So, both the front and rear visors are loose or lack stitching?? Good looking repair job!! Cheers Dick

No Dick, the glue residue can be seen at the corners of the rear visor where it meets the shell and along the top edge of the rear visor where it meets the shell. You can really see the residue on the corner with the Reichs kokarde. The front visor was not glued on but the rear one is.

dick roback said:
Brian; Are the wavey lines above the Mecklenburg kokarde silicon residue?? So, both the front and rear visors are loose or lack stitching?? Good looking repair job!! Cheers Dick
Is he actually back from prison? Or do they have Internet in his cell?

Hmmmm...can't really comment Joe :? . This was the final problem though, the rear visor has been glued on and you can see the glue residue in the pics. The empty stitch holes are also a dead giveaway on "glue". If there is no thread, then what is holding the visor on ??? With some care and patience, this visor can be freed up from the helme and the glue removed. So friends....no further suggestions as to how to deal with the "cut out top " problem? :) . I have fotos all prepared and will post them in a couple of days. In the mean time, I have to re solder the screw post on James' Garde wappen and get the fittings back on his helme.

Back