Meldereiter-Detachement XV. Armeekorps

kuerassier

This is certainly a largely unknown and rare uniform. It was worn only from 1895 to 1897.
Meldereiter-Detachement des XV. Armeekorps Straßburg, a forerunner of the Jäger zu Pferde.
Was worn only by men and NCO.
This included a Hussarsbusby. The cap was all white, also the cap band, with red piping. Some books say the cap band was red, but that’s not right.
The officers of the detachment were reassigned from other regiments and used further their existing uniform.
The photo was taken in Cavalry Museum Vornholz in gemany, the largest private collection of the imperial cavalry. The same tunic is in the book The German Cavalry from 1871 to 1914. Maybe the only one that survided.

pointystuff said:
Does that museum have very many Filz Tschapkas?

No one, so far i know. The most things are from peacetime befor 1914.
Here are some impressions:

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5667

Mike,

Do you have Herr, U, Nguyen, U. (2006) The German Cavalry from 1871 to 1914 Verlag Militaria, Vienna?

cav_book.jpg

It explains these small units in detail. Superb books. the cavaalry and Infantry ones never leave my coffee table. You really have to get them. Worth every cent. Tony

This is from the Bekleidungsordnung of 1896. Now, my 1896 edtion already incorporates the amendments (Deckblätter) showing the uniforms introduced in 1897 and so just this fragment of the original 1895 pattern uniform regulations for the Meldereiter-Detachement des XV. Armeekorps is visible.

I would agree with Tony that the Herr and Nguyen books are very good. I opted for the German language editions which I find very useful.

Regards
Glenn

meldereiter.jpg

Glenn,

Was the book originally in German and then translated into English? What would you say are the advantages to having the German version?

Thanks,
Chip

Chip,

I believe both German and English language editions were published pretty much around the same time although the German editions were available slightly earlier. They of course, are written by German authors, so presumbly the original manuscripts were in German.

I prefer the German editions purely as a personal preference. I like to read about this stuff in the original German and make my own translations. In any case I was living and working in Germany at the time I bought most of my stuff from them.

Although I understand that the English language editions of Verlag Militaria books are excellent, I have seen some horror stories (translations) by other publishers!

Regards
Glenn

Thanks Glenn. I know what you mean about some of the translations. Even Kraus's book about the German army (the one based on the collections of the Bavarian Army Museum and the Wehrgeschichtliches Museum) has some awkward translations.

Chip

Back