Pickelhaube Opinion

rocky

Hi,

I know a guy that has this Pickelhaube & I was looking at it & took a few pics. I believe it is one of those late war ones. It is missing the chin strap & cockades and someone put an extra frontal plate on it. It is also unit marked. Any Opinions?

Thanks,
Rocky

Attachments

• IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    514.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    479.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    461.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    441.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    404.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    469.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    370 KB · Views: 54
Wow, a nice original ersatz cloth covered felt, that someone has messed with by adding another plate!

Actually, that is the first time I have literally seen two plates on one helmet.....

Reactions: USN
Hi Rocky,
Nice helmet, and nicely marked!
As said, a shame that someone added an extra plate, but hopefully that only added two small holes on the back. The eagle belongs to the helmet, that also fits with IR 136.
I’m no expert on this type of helmet, but it looks ok to me. The disc under the spike belongs on the inside of the helmet, but otherwise it seems to be in very good condition.
Regards,
Lars

This is an Ersatz helmet made from leather, pressed cardboard or cork. Unlike felt helmets, these are edged with a sewn-on leather or coated canvas band for added strength.
The eagle alone corresponds to the Prussian Line Infantry Regiment 136, which I know well as it is garrisoned in Dieuze (Lothringen-Reichsland). This helmet is undoubtedly a 'trophy' brought back from the front by an Allied serviceman. To condense his booty, the soldier has placed a Württemberg plate on the back, which has no business there, and which obviously has to be removed. To transport it, French, British or American soldiers used to dismantle the spike and replace it inside in the opposite direction. At home, when reassembling the spike, we often make the mistake of placing the Teller under the spike, on the outside, instead of fixing it in the hull.

Last edited:
Dear collector,
the helmet is a original prussian infanterie ersatz helmet. The wurttemberg plate is not of the same helmet. It's correct in all its parts.
This helmet is not common and quite rare. Something we can find some helmet with the reinforcement metal disk wrongly mounted under the spike's base. I heard that the helmets when had to be stored for long period were deprived of the spikes and the the different part were stored separately to maximize space.
Zeb

Another thing:
the magnetism of the fittings should be checked... The plates look grey-iron to me, but the tip is not the M15 retractable model.

In reply to CLOVIS,

the frontal plate should be magnetic?

Thanks,
Rocky

As of now the guy that has the helmet does not want to sell it. What would be a reasonable offer when he does want to sell it?

Thanks,
Rocky

As of now the guy that has the helmet does not want to sell it. What would be a reasonable offer when he does want to sell it?

Thanks,
Rocky
Canvases are rare. The hull and liner are good. That's a plus.
Missing the roundels and chinstrap, quite a lot of damage and handling, that's a minus. 600€ in France. (The Württemberg plate is recoverable).

Here is another picture of the other side of the helmet. The black disc should be on the inside and by bending the tabs & placing it on the tabs & bending them back.

Thanks,
Rocky

Attachments

• IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    468 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    474 KB · Views: 19
Clovis makes a good point, M15 wurttemberg plates are quite scarce and you could remove it and sell it or keep it on the helmet and maintain its integrity as a souvenir piece. Similar to how people will take pins and other insignia off of hate belts and capture holsters. Personally I think it just makes the helmet unique, I guarantee you'll never find another one like it!

I agree, if you take off the Wurttemburger plate someone is just going to put it on and unmarked Prussian M15 and falsely sell it as a Wurttemburger M15 for someone desperately looking for one. :devilish:

It's a unique piece of history as is and looks like it's been that way for a long time. (y)

Great point with regard to the hate belts. Think about it how many hate belts have we seen with one- or two-pieces cutoff? Every time I see one, I wonder what rare piece once filled that spot.

I'll admit I have a soft spot for untouched complete pieces which are super rare.

Reactions: USN
The black disc should be on the inside and by bending the tabs & placing it on the tabs & bending them back? Is that correct? Again, thanks for all the information.

Rocky

The black disc should be on the inside and by bending the tabs & placing it on the tabs & bending them back? Is that correct? Again, thanks for all the information.

Rocky

That's the way all the other ones I've seen over the years have been.

But and it's a BIG BUT it looks like it's been that way for a long long time and by trying to remove it you could find yourself with some problems or worse damage.

Back