1809 Leib-Husaren Regt Tschako Totenkopf

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Here is an very rare example of the Totenkopf that I recently acquired from a Berlin collection worn by Leib-Husaren Regt. Nr.1 and Leib-Husaren Regt. Nr.2 from April 1809 to 1815. See Pietsch, P.(?) Formations und Uniformierungsgeschichte des Preussen Heeres 1908 bis 1914. Verlag: Helmut Gerhard Schulz, Hamburg (1963) pages 106 and 109. This Totenkopf is 200 years old next year, and worn during the Wars of Liberation against Napoleon. After 1815 it was replaced by the pattern worn until 1918.

LHR1809a.jpg

Here is a close up of the skull top, note that it is completely pebbled, and the fine swirls of the skull cranial suture (incredibly fine detail). Also note the holes where the Totenkopf was sewn to the felt Tschako. The holes go all the way around on the edge of the entire skull.

LHR1809c.jpg

Somewhat fragile, the bottom bones are one piece, I do not honestly know if it is an old repair (much darker to the eye) or if due to the ability of the time, it was made as a separate piece on purpose and soldered on.

LHR1809b.jpg

LHR1809d.jpg

Very, very nice, Tony!

By the way, I don't know if you saw it or not, but a couple of guys on WAF posted birthday wishes for you.

Hello

"Felicitations" !

The first time I see such a photo.
I only knew the picture in "Pietsch"

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Absolutely wonderfull, you had a lucky day when you found it, congratulation.
It is interesting to see that it was sewn the same way as french headgears of the period - obviously technics were shared.
Here is an example of a napoleonic guard grenadier plate which could have faced the one you present :)

ggarde-face.JPG

ggarde-dos.JPG

Patrick

Back