A photograph of German Soldiers, I'm not sure how to identify.

kaiserburg

Hello! I've come across my first piece of German War Memorabilia, some sort of photo, or a postcard. On the back side there appears to be a lot of writing, I'm not sure how to read cursive or German, let alone at the same time. If someone could help me with translating, that would be amazing.IMG_20231225_00011.jpgIMG_20231225_0001.jpg

Hello! I've come across my first piece of German War Memorabilia, some sort of photo, or a postcard. On the back side there appears to be a lot of writing, I'm not sure how to read cursive or German, let alone at the same time. If someone could help me with translating, that would be amazing.View attachment 40339View attachment 40338
Nice photo postcard! I'm sure @Sandmann could help you out translating the writing on the back of it.
I also collect postcards, and feldpost from WW1, a nice field of collecting, and a lot cheaper than collecting pickelhauben, though I also have some in my collection.

Regards, Coert.

Nice photo postcard! I'm sure @Sandmann could help you out translating the writing on the back of it.
I also collect postcards, and feldpost from WW1, a nice field of collecting, and a lot cheaper than collecting pickelhauben, though I also have some in my collection.

Regards, Coert.
Thank you, It most certainly is a better point to start collecting.

Hello kaiserburg and welcome to the Forum.
It wasn't easy for me to read, so I'm not 100% sure, but here's what I read:

Frankreich, den 4.7.16
Geehrte Fr. Dr. Fette,
die besten Grüße von
hier. mir geht es noch gut,
hoffentlich Ihnen und Ihren
lieben Kindern auch. bin
wieder hinaus gezogen
ins Feindesland u. verrichte
Feldarbeit solange wir
nicht gebraucht werden.
lassen sie es Ihnen gut gehen.
auf (ein) gesundes Wiedersehen.
grüßt Ihnen H. ?Bauermeister?
Feld Rekruten Bataillon 10, königl.
56 Infanterie-Division, Feldpost Station 94.

Translation:
France, 4.7.16
Dear Dr. Fette,
best wishes from here. I am still well, and I hope you and your dear children are too. I've gone out into enemy territory again and am doing field work while we're not needed.
Have a good time. See you again in good health.
Greetings from H. Bauermeister.
Field Recruit Battalion 10, Royal 56th Infantry Division, Field Post Station 94.

Hello kaiserburg and welcome to the Forum.
It wasn't easy for me to read, so I'm not 100% sure, but here's what I read:

Frankreich, den 4.7.16
Geehrte Fr. Dr. Fette,
die besten Grüße von
hier. mir geht es noch gut,
hoffentlich Ihnen und Ihren
lieben Kindern auch. bin
wieder hinaus gezogen
ins Feindesland u. verrichte
Feldarbeit solange wir
nicht gebraucht werden.
lassen sie es Ihnen gut gehen.
auf (ein) gesundes Wiedersehen.
grüßt Ihnen H. ?Bauermeister?
Feld Rekruten Bataillon 10, königl.
56 Infanterie-Division, Feldpost Station 94.

Translation:
France, 4.7.16
Dear Dr. Fette,
best wishes from here. I am still well, and I hope you and your dear children are too. I've gone out into enemy territory again and am doing field work while we're not needed.
Have a good time. See you again in good health.
Greetings from H. Bauermeister.
Field Recruit Battalion 10, Royal 56th Infantry Division, Field Post Station 94.
Thank you so much, it's great to have context to this now.

"Frankreich, d. 4.7.16
Geehrte Frau Doktor Fetke,
Die besten Grüße von hier. Mir geht es noch gut.
Hoffentlich Ihnen und Ihren lieben Kindern auch. Bin
wieder hinaus gezogen ins Feindesland u. verrichte
Feldarbeit solange wir nicht gebraucht werden.
Lassen Sie es Ihnen gut gehen.
Auf gesundes Wiedersehen.
Grüßt Ihnen H. ??????
Landstr. Feld Rekruten Bataillon, 10. Komp.
56. Inftr. Division, Feldpost Station 94"

Adressiert:
An Familie Dr. A. Fetke
Biebrich am Rhein, Kreis Wiesbaden
Adolfshöhe

Philippe

Hi,
The Feldrekruten Depot (of which the Bataillon is a part) is where soldiers were given their final training (after being trained in the home country) by front line troops, near the front line. In this period typically a unit at divisional level.
Regards,
Lars

The company post stamp gives the unit . 94
Hi,
The Feldpost number is a way to deliver the mail, not a unit identification. If I remember correctly the Germans used it to try and hide their troop’s organization from the enemy, before they used to have the division or a similar level unit in the stamp.
Regards,
Lars

Hi,
The Feldpost number is a way to deliver the mail, not a unit identification. If I remember correctly the Germans used it to try and hide their troop’s organization from the enemy, before they used to have the division or a similar level unit in the stamp.
Regards,
Lars
Correct Lars, I have several early war feldpostkarten with those unit or divisional stamps on them.

Regards, Coert.

Back