Bavarian Chevauleger/Schwere Reiter Officer's helmet

Very nice helmet Bob, congratulations to your early Christmas present :)
I wouldn't doubt the originality. Perhaps the helmet was delivered with an open hole in the cross fitting. In this case, as the owner, I would also have added a star. Especially with Bayern, I noticed that some rules were only rudimentarily adhered to (y)

Nice helmet, congratulations.
The Bavarian M86 officer's helmets show mostly 4 stars, and the M86/14 or 15 models show mostly 3 stars.
The 3 stars with folding feet are from the entry-war model. The one with the screw and nut is anachronistic and should be in front. This is the 1871 model and earlier. (1886 for Bavaria). It also lacks the metal washer.
This helmet is known as the M86/14 because the front no longer has a branch (AKO 13-2-14) and is considerably smaller than the previous M1886.
Baie. M86 M96 M14.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Bob (y)

Nothing says Christmas like a little gift to yourself 🎅 and why not you certainly earned it(y)

I tried in vain to get the misses to get me a gift card from AOK but sadly it was a no go . :cry:

Beautiful addition

Congratulations Bob (y)

Nothing says Christmas like a little gift to yourself 🎅 and why not you certainly earned it(y)

I tried in vain to get the misses to get me a gift card from AOK but sadly it was a no go . :cry:

Beautiful addition
John you have been trying for a while, shd I ask you to continue to try or shd I tell you to give up?? Lol . AOK is having a good run with many nice helmets recently.

Nice helmet, congratulations.
The Bavarian M86 officer's helmets show mostly 4 stars, and the M86/14 or 15 models show mostly 3 stars.
The 3 stars with folding feet are from the entry-level model. The one with the walnut is anachronistic and should be in front. This is the 1871 model and earlier. (1886 for Bavaria). It also lacks the tin washer.
This helmet is known as the M86/14 because the front no longer has a branch (AKO 13-2-14) and is considerably smaller than the previous M1886.
View attachment 40207
Clovis, Thank you for the excellent information.

Back