evapo rust

stuka f

It was here I saw the name for the first time!
So allow me to show you it does work pretty well.
I was lucky to find the dealer for europe living not that far from me and got my self the smallest container.
Check the result on a old tin globe that wasn't treated so nicely when stored for the last "x" years...
cheers
|<ris

Great result ! :thumb up:
I read about it at this forum a few times.
I have a Prussian OR Kurasse stamped "crowned FW" (König Friedrich Wilhelm IV von Preussen-born 1795-died 1861)
It is pitted and the rust keeps coming back.
How much of the stuff would I need. :eek:
And...what to do to prevent the rust coming back... :x .

Thank you,
Francis

Khukri said:
And...what to do to prevent the rust coming back... :x .

Francis

You need to keep the oxygen away Francis , I think I found the perfect product for that, it’s called Valma vaseline spray.
It is acid free and it has a dry feel, so dust will not stick to the treated surface, unlike greasy or oily products.
I once treated a rusty medieval armor with it and it has been rust-free for years now.

(Valma is a car-care brand)

Ed,

Thank you for the info on this spray !
I will google it !
The leather belt can be removed-no problem.
The scaled brass shoulder straps are more difficult to remove (I guess). But I need to do so as these are leather lined.

The front and back halves have to be completely sunken in an "evapo rust" bath I guess....
So...I might need a Jerry-Can of the stuff :eek:

Francis

The company has a web site of course and it can be ordered on line. The smallest amount is a US gallon. Another benefit is that this chemical is environmentally friendly, it causes no harm. Excellent results on that globe!

I still can't get over the name of this stuff. I would send the marketing guys back to the drawing board.

:)
Thank you for the info !

The spray comes in a 250ml container. 5 €
The evapo rust comes in 1 L or 3.8 L (one US gallon). 45 €/gallon

Question: can the evapo rust be used again.
One never knows: perhaps a fellow collector who has another messy Kurass ?? :D

AKO dd 14 January 1845:
-the use of a new type of steel, the Gußstahl-cast steel-is ordered by König Friedrich Wilhelm IV.
This type of steel is better resitant to fire arms projectiles. From this date on all breast plates have to undergo the “Beschußtest”, the shooting test. The result is the “Beschußdelle”-the impact print/pit in the steel. All OR breast plates (not Officers breast plates) are tested.
The Beschußprobe / shooting test is executed with a smooth bore pistol at a distance of 50 paces. As a quality proof test before the delivery of the product; executed by the proofcommission.
33o65i8.jpg

Francis

b.loree said:
The company has a web site of course and it can be ordered on line. The smallest amount is a US gallon. Another benefit is that this chemical is environmentally friendly, it causes no harm. Excellent results on that globe!

You can buy quart size here in the States. It's my go to product to remove rust and not remove paint or decals

Keith

Khukri said:
:)

Question: can the evapo rust be used again.
One never knows: perhaps a fellow collector who has another messy Kurass ?? :D

Francis

I have used it again with decent results. The efficacy decreases each time you reuse it though

Keith

The company web site states that it can be used repeatedly. Which store in the US carries this product? I am going to the SOS, hopefully I can pick up some while I am there.

Brian--
It looks like Ace Hardware might be the hardware biggest chain that carries it, but O'Reilly auto parts carries it. The website should be able to help you locate a place.

How do you drive to the show? Do you go via New York or Detroit?

Cheers,
PS

Thanks Peter, I will look for one of those stores. We are going to Fla for 2 weeks prior to the show staying with friends outside of Orlando. Initially though, we will cross the border at Buffalo and proceed south from there.

Just saw this thread and wow! Great results! I have an M16 shell which I think was used by the Austrians (web chin strap) with a faint camo scheme under the rust. This would be a worthwhile trial project, since the shell cost me $30 and there's no liner or original paint inside.

:D Ron

b.loree said:
Thanks Peter, I will look for one of those stores. We are going to Fla for 2 weeks prior to the show staying with friends outside of Orlando. Initially though, we will cross the border at Buffalo and proceed south from there.
I think Brian needs a geography lesson, Florida is not on the wat to Kentucky from Canada.

Gustaf said:
b.loree said:
I think Brian needs a geography lesson, Florida is not on the wat to Kentucky from Canada.

Well, Orlando is in Kentucky, actually.... :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando,_Kentucky" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D Ron

Back