Gathering information for first find

Jay

I heard good things about this forum so thought it was the best place to start my research.

I discovered the below pictured pickelhaube cleaning out a relatives attic. I'm not interested in selling the item, but would like to know the history. The helmet appears to be original leather and in good condition with only a small dent underneath the emblem. Also, the cover has faint tracings of numbers so not sure a unit can be identified from the partial number(s). Any information that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
IMG-4526.jpgIMG-4528.jpg

This is a very nice looking Prussian Infantry officers helmet. The number on the cover, indicates the regiment.
Which looks like 38, but I am not quite sure about that, it's really vague.
Does it still have a liner inside?
I would sure like to see more photo's, but from what I see, it is a nice original helmet.

Regards, Coert.

That’s amazing! Looks like an officer’s helmet because i’m pretty sure the officers not only had chinscales the brass pieces along the strap but the spike was also decorated, which yours seems to be decorated. Did you have a relative that served in the prussian army or do you think they got it from elsewhere? Thank you for sharing!

Colin

Hi Jay,
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on a great attic find.
I was writing my reply but Coert already answered :)
Pictures of the helmets sides, the inside, and pictures of the inside of the cover can help to identify / narrow down the regiment.
Regards,
Lars

You know on that website inter national military antiques there was a nice officer helmet for $495 but the liner was almost missing, just a few tongues in place and I was going to consider buying it but after 20 minutes it was gone 😂

Thanks everybody for the quick and informative responses. I’ve attached some additional pics as requested. The cover is completely intact and the liner is in good shape as well. Leather has some small spider cracks.

No relatives in Prussian army. Not sure how helmet was acquired. Maybe foraging after WW2 as several family members served in Europe.

Attachments

• IMG_4523.jpeg
    IMG_4523.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4524.jpeg
    IMG_4524.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4525.jpeg
    IMG_4525.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
Very nice! Only the silk part is a bit detached from the leather band, but this is sometimes the case. But it is still there, if it was new, it should be attached to the leatherband, on the inside of it. The kokarde is also the right one for an officer helmet. Is there an other kokarde on the other side too? If so, the part which is red on the kokarde you posted a picture of, should be white on it. The one you posted is the reich kokarde, the other one, if present and has the white inner ring is for Prussia. I like the outer finish of the helmet too, some small cracks in it, are not a problem at all.
Welcome to the forum Jay, you have a good original helmet there!

I’ve always liked that the officers had red and green in the visors. I’m still a noobie in militaria collecting so perhaps someone else knows

Hello Jay and welcome to the forum.
Despite the liner you have a beautiful all original peacetime officer‘s helmet from 1897 or later. Congratulations on this find :)
Unfortunately I can‘t figure out whether the chinscales are curved or flat. With flat chinscales it was the helmet of an infantry officer, with curved chinscales it was that of a Train officer. I think they are flat, but they could also have a slight curve. Are the rosettes curved or flat?
The line eagle with FR on the chest was worn by most of the infantry/Train regiments, so a more precise regimental definition is unfortunately not possible. As Coert wrote, the best way to say something about its story would be to carefully examine the cover under different light colors. Maybe then you can decypher the number better.

To my eyes,the rosettes are flat which indicates infantry officer. I am also wondering if this helmet is made from Vulcan fibre with that black interior??

If you take a UV flashlight, (like the type that they use to detect pet urine with) and shine it across the inside, back visor and the interior, you might be able to make out some stampings or markings that have faded with time.

Sorry everyone, but I was traveling and not able to look at the helmet and answer your questions. I've attached a couple new pics to help answer some of your questions. The chinscales look curved and the leather extension for the chinscales is still attached so I took a pic of the chinscales and leather strap.
I also took a pic of the opposite side kokarde. So one side has a red interior while the other side has a black interior.
Finally, I took a pic of the manufacturer label.
I hope these pics and my explanation will help further identify the period (1880's, 90's??) when the helmet was in use. Thanks everyone.

Pic3of3.jpegPic2of3.jpegPic1of3.jpeg

Back