Grenadier.

You have a 50/50 chance that a dealer bought it and will put their shine on it then put it up for sale, but sadly it will be a bit more expensive.

I had time to give it a good look and just couldn't do it, but the wife was sitting next to me. :cry:

It looks like the original post locations had been moved so it would fit on the standard Prussian line eagle. IMO, you dodged a bullet for not buying it...

I have checked few of my grenadier officers including the grenadier 1, the screw posts are not as far as the garde eagles.

IMO the screw posts of the helmet is correct and it's a good price for a rare helmet

I have checked few of my grenadier officers including the grenadier 1, the screw posts are not as far as the garde eagles.
Both mine have the wider guard eagle spacing on the plate and on this particular plate in question you can see where the old post locations have been camouflaged (solder removed and area cleaned and burnished with a wire tool).

I may be mistaken, but didn't this regiment have a line eagle with a bandeau and FWR on the breast until 1900? If it was purchased by the individual before 1900, and they switched to the Garde eagle, then wouldn't they relocate the holes or resolder the posts?

Last edited:
I may be mistaken, but didn't this regiment have a line eagle with a bandeau and FWR on the breast until 1900? If it was purchased by the individual before 1900, and they switched to the Garde eagle, then wouldn't they relocate the holes or resolder the posts?
The earlier G R 1 helmet plate ( sorry , I don't know the date ) was an FWR Grenadiers eagle with the "1655 " banner above the eagle's head .
SteveG R 1 f.JPGG R 1 b.JPG

Back