M1895 Waffenrock - opinions

bwahl

Hello all,
Any opinions on the this piece? The only clothiers mark on the tunic is a ovular one and appear to read "Gröningen" with what looks like the word "Costumier" in the middle. There is a Gröningen, Saxony, otherwise a Dutch made article would be odd. Could the lack of Bekleidungsamt indicate a private purchase?

Regards,
-BW

Attachments

• IMG_1457-scaled.jpg
    IMG_1457-scaled.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1461-scaled.jpg
    IMG_1461-scaled.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1464-1536x1056.jpg
    IMG_1464-1536x1056.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1465-scaled.jpg
    IMG_1465-scaled.jpg
    810.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1460-scaled.jpg
    IMG_1460-scaled.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hi BW,
Difficult to tell, the uniform seems well made, and the mark looks like ????SMA GRONINGEN. The ending "sma" of last names is very typical in the Groningen province (with its capital also named Groningen), and I can almost read: F. A. BOOMSMA, GRONINGEN.
I also found some theatrical costumes on the internet from this company.
That doesn't mean that this could not be original, but both the liner and the shoulder straps look strange, and what unit could this have belonged to? It could be Bavarian I.R. 6, before they got the cypher, but the cloth is much darker than the typical Bavarian lighter blue.
Could be an original uniform modified by a theatrical company, or completely made by the theatrical company.
There were Germans working and living across the border in the Netherlands, and theoretically they could have had their private uniform made in the Netherlands, but very unlikely if they were in the Bavarian army :)
Regards,
Lars

Hi BW,
Difficult to tell, the uniform seems well made, and the mark looks like ????SMA GRONINGEN. The ending "sma" of last names is very typical in the Groningen province (with its capital also named Groningen), and I can almost read: F. A. BOOMSMA, GRONINGEN.
I also found some theatrical costumes on the internet from this company.
That doesn't mean that this could not be original, but both the liner and the shoulder straps look strange, and what unit could this have belonged to? It could be Bavarian I.R. 6, before they got the cypher, but the cloth is much darker than the typical Bavarian lighter blue.
Could be an original uniform modified by a theatrical company, or completely made by the theatrical company.
There were Germans working and living across the border in the Netherlands, and theoretically they could have had their private uniform made in the Netherlands, but very unlikely if they were in the Bavarian army :)
Regards,
Lars
Good eyes, Lars (and genealogical knowledge), very unusual indeed. I'm scratching my head at the shoulder boards. I was pouring over some of the older posts here and found an identical ovular marking (in a visored Feldmuetze on DerRittmeister) - except it being "Amsterdam" and not "Groningen". https://derrittmeistermilitaria.com...62223&pr_ref_pid=8032693125359&pr_seq=uniform

Hello all,
Any opinions on the this piece? The only clothiers mark on the tunic is a ovular one and appear to read "Gröningen" with what looks like the word "Costumier" in the middle. There is a Gröningen, Saxony, otherwise a Dutch made article would be odd. Could the lack of Bekleidungsamt indicate a private purchase?

Regards,
-BW
The 6 on the shoulder straps does look crude
But I have some early straps that look that way
so they could be O K if the uniform is an older one
thinking out loud without my reference book
Prussian Grenadier Regt 6 did not have a cypher
only # 6 .They did not get their litzen until late
I think that I see yellow piping on the cuffs ?
Not sure if G R 6 had yellow piping
Steve

The 6 on the shoulder straps does look crude
But I have some early straps that look that way
so they could be O K if the uniform is an older one
thinking out loud without my reference book
Prussian Grenadier Regt 6 did not have a cypher
only # 6 .They did not get their litzen until late
I think that I see yellow piping on the cuffs ?
Not sure if G R 6 had yellow piping
Steve
I just remembered that G R 6 shoulder straps are yellow
Steve

I just remembered that G R 6 shoulder straps are yellow
Steve
It must be some kind of "frankenstein" piece. The overall cut looks convincing but the aforementioned inconsistencies are off putting. The search for "Dunkelblau" continues.

Back