Opinions/information requested for 1st possible acquisition

Howlingriffon

Hello all. I am a complete novice to this area of collection and would like to request input before I make any decisions. Right now, I know just enough to get burned ;)
The dealer is asking for less than the marked price but my gut feeling is even that is too high. There is another shop in Dallas that I plan one visiting that seems very good from reviews. Between help received here and what inventory they have for comparison, I hope to start my collection soon.
I will post a photo and then comment on what I think I know. Please correct me and let me learn from you guys. In collecting I have found a lot of good advice written about what to look for, but usually no visual examples. What would help me is for example-"in picture A, the thingy should be .... not.... as like this item"
I hope that makes sense. OK, let's go...
I think that I'm looking at Baden Pickelhaube. Not sure which Regiment but fairly certain it is not the 109th as I believe that would have a starburst type overlay (don't know the technical term)
m_B1.jpg

Close-up of the wappen. It appears uniformly dirty but the "dirt" seems odd. I think the chin strap may be original but it does look too thick from other photos that I've seen. Additionally, the edges seem less weathered than other exposed leather edging. The cockade rings are questionable as will be seen below
m_B2.jpg

Both cockades are Prussian which would be wrong for both sides. Due to the look of consistent aging, I believe that they are replacements along with the chin strap but it was done a long time ago. There appears to be a lot of crazing but the only damage to the leather that I noted was under the cockade on the left side. The helmet shape looks good with a contoured fit on the spine. A little offset on the wappen but I think it is acceptable. Front visor is riveted and the rear stitched which would help identify it as a M91(??).
m_B3.jpg

The spike and base look fine to me but I am curious about the rust on the spike. Is this normal? It looks like someone was a little too aggressive with steel wool at some point. I think the base, spine and visor edging are brass but the wappen and spike look to be the grey
m_B5.jpg

m_10.jpg
m_B6.jpg

The interior is my biggest unknown. The wappen appears to have both loops but I'm guessing that the shoe string isn't original:)
I originally thought the yellow stamp to be a fake but I'm not so sure now. It looks like the same style as another that I've seen pictures of. There two other splotches of white paint that I can't make out at all and didn't see any other obvious markings. Generally, I think it is in fairly good condition but, as I said, I really don't know what to look for.
m_8.jpg
m_9.jpg
well, hopefully I haven't wasted too much of your time. As always, any input is appreciated!
Stay safe,
Jason

Hello all. I am a complete novice to this area of collection and would like to request input before I make any decisions. Right now, I know just enough to get burned ;)
The dealer is asking for less than the marked price but my gut feeling is even that is too high. There is another shop in Dallas that I plan one visiting that seems very good from reviews. Between help received here and what inventory they have for comparison, I hope to start my collection soon.
I will post a photo and then comment on what I think I know. Please correct me and let me learn from you guys. In collecting I have found a lot of good advice written about what to look for, but usually no visual examples. What would help me is for example-"in picture A, the thingy should be .... not.... as like this item"
I hope that makes sense. OK, let's go...
I think that I'm looking at Baden Pickelhaube. Not sure which Regiment but fairly certain it is not the 109th as I believe that would have a starburst type overlay (don't know the technical term)
View attachment 34869

Close-up of the wappen. It appears uniformly dirty but the "dirt" seems odd. I think the chin strap may be original but it does look too thick from other photos that I've seen. Additionally, the edges seem less weathered than other exposed leather edging. The cockade rings are questionable as will be seen below
View attachment 34870

Both cockades are Prussian which would be wrong for both sides. Due to the look of consistent aging, I believe that they are replacements along with the chin strap but it was done a long time ago. There appears to be a lot of crazing but the only damage to the leather that I noted was under the cockade on the left side. The helmet shape looks good with a contoured fit on the spine. A little offset on the wappen but I think it is acceptable. Front visor is riveted and the rear stitched which would help identify it as a M91(??).
View attachment 34871

The spike and base look fine to me but I am curious about the rust on the spike. Is this normal? It looks like someone was a little too aggressive with steel wool at some point. I think the base, spine and visor edging are brass but the wappen and spike look to be the grey
View attachment 34872

View attachment 34873
View attachment 34874

The interior is my biggest unknown. The wappen appears to have both loops but I'm guessing that the shoe string isn't original:)
I originally thought the yellow stamp to be a fake but I'm not so sure now. It looks like the same style as another that I've seen pictures of. There two other splotches of white paint that I can't make out at all and didn't see any other obvious markings. Generally, I think it is in fairly good condition but, as I said, I really don't know what to look for.
View attachment 34875
View attachment 34876
well, hopefully I haven't wasted too much of your time. As always, any input is appreciated!
Stay safe,
Jason
If you are in Dallas
check out the site Age of Kings
Randy is in Dallas
and if you buy a helmet from them
you will be sure to pay a fair price
and get a helmet that is 100 % correct
or if there is a fault with it
they will tell you about it
Steve

don't get this one as your first purchase. get advice and save up for one in better condition, if it's your first it's worth it.

cheers Tony

ps Age of Kings is certainly a safe bet.

It's an m1915 pattern pickel with grey fitting and a wappen for BADEN. detachable spike and it is in poor shape. the cockades are wrong and the chin strap is a replacement repro. Look through the threads here and you will in a significant lot of the gaps in your knowledge. welcome to the hobby.

in fact look on Age of King website as they have a nice m1915 Baden for sale. Not sure what your budget is but would make a nice compare and contrast with what the other guy is selling.

in fact look on Age of King website as they have a nice m1915 Baden for sale. Not sure what your budget is but would make a nice compare and contrast with what the other guy is selling.
Tony is correct
Age of Kings
( I think that they will do a Lay-a -way plan ? )
Ask Randy in case that you need to go that route
It is best to start out with the best example that you can find
otherwise later on you will want to find a better example
here is the info
price is $995.00
Steve
  • Ref.Head776
  • Overall condition Near mint
  • State / Country Baden

If you are in Dallas
check out the site Age of Kings
Randy is in Dallas
and if you buy a helmet from them
you will be sure to pay a fair price
and get a helmet that is 100 % correct
or if there is a fault with it
they will tell you about it
Steve
I am actually in Fort Worth for a few months. I have to go back to Florida (where the family and mortgage are) for chemo tomorrow but was planning to check out Recon Vintage Militaria in Dallas next weekend. I will reach out to Age of Kings next week also.

Thank you all for the fast responses. Probably will spend the equivalent to a nice piece in books before I start buying! Just as an FYI, the seller is asking $500 for it "marked down!" from $750. My gut feeling was it may be worth $200-300. Heck, don't even know if that is too high now.
Thank you all!

Thank you all for the fast responses. Probably will spend the equivalent to a nice piece in books before I start buying! Just as an FYI, the seller is asking $500 for it "marked down!" from $750. My gut feeling was it may be worth $200-300. Heck, don't even know if that is too high now.
Thank you all!
You would have to find the correct Baden kokard
and the chin strap
Then you still have the problem of the condition of the
outside body
Steve

Steve is right, better pay more for a correct M15 Baden. If you buy this one, you will only regret it in a while.
I have been there, and done it too when I started collecting. We're only human you know, everybody has made these kinds of mistakes,
in a state of joy, and wanting to collect these nice helmets, a mistake is easily made.
I have been there, done it too.
But you know, the best part of this, is that you asked us here first. Everybody can give you information, and everybody is here to help you.

Best regards, Coert.

"in a state of joy, and wanting to collect these nice helmets, a mistake is easily made"
Do you know me or have you been talking to my wife?!? So much truth right there. My problem is that I know I need to get books first but I have to have that placeholder piece. Which 90% of the time does turn out to be junk. I'm going through the market listings now hoping to find something good still there...

As others have stated the helmet is correct but a bit rough.
The issues are with the cocardes and chinstrap.
If you can find one the Baden cocarde will run about $150-$250.
The chinstrap $150-$350. !
Officers chinscales run $250
Real chinstraps are getting outrages pricing now
Asking $500 is kind of the right in this case.
Other sellers would be asking $600-$700 but the helmet will sit on their shelves for a while

Hi Jason,
My first Pickelhaube was a gift, an old pre-war helmet reworked during WW I to match the M15 pattern. Cut down in size, brass replaced with iron, visors replaced. Not in a good condition, incorrect Wappen, repro Kokarden and chin strap. Nevertheless, it was very helpful to have a helmet in hand, and studying that helmet made it so much easier to distinguish original from repro afterwards. So I certainly see the value in spending some money on a less than perfect (but original) helmet , and use it as a reference.
Regards,
Lars

I will get with Age of Kings and the shop I mentioned next week and see how things go there. The dealer that has this one does have some very nice Korea/Vietnam era flight helmets for a really good price. I may see if he would throw this in if a grab a lot of the other stuff.

Do you guys believe the cocardes are repros or just incorrect application? Based on the chipping I think they are real but I know that can be faked too. Any tips on differentiating?

The cockades look original at first glance but it’s hard to tell as the quality of the photos is not the best. This helmet should normally have a baden and a „Reichs“ cockade.

Back