Pickelhaubes.com Restoration

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
It crossed my mind, after today's 2 rather lengthy posts on the Meck officer helme that I should make a simple statement to clarify things as to how restorations are posted. I always ask permission of the owner of the piece prior to posting before and after pictures. There are some collectors who prefer to have their helmets and collections remain anonymous and I totally respect that. If the answer is no then, there is no problem at all. Initially, I am sent pictures of the helmet in question, I make an analysis of the piece based on those pics with the proviso that if I see additional things once I have the helmet, I can make other suggestions for improvements. The thing is, that I take these things apart unlike collectors and have done so for 20+ years. Consequently, I know how things should be, I know what to look for. However, there are still surprises, and I will post a couple of pics tomorrow to back this up. So there it is.

There are some collectors who prefer to have their helmets and collections remain anonymous and I totally respect that

I can respect that intellectually however, the reasons I have been told for this position do not hold up to my logic. I am glad we have heavy duty collectors like Karel, Bruno, James, Ed, you and others who share everything freely. Otherwise it would be very very hard for other collectors to learn. Of course I have had my share of rocks thrown at me in the collector community.

Joe I never threw a rock at you, but there is always the SOS this year if you show up?????

James

I should clarify, I have as yet never had a collector who did not agree to before and after pictures of their helmet during restoration. However, naturally if someone declined to have pictures posted then that would be totally ok. Throwing rocks at Joe? There are always too many women gathered around him at the SOS. You could never get a shot. :lol: :lol:

No Ron, its the chair....and I have questioned his nefarious use of it! I have done so on many occasions both drunk and sober in front of witnesses at the SOS and apres show parties. It takes a cool eyed Canuck to catch him working his magic on the feminine population at the show, I have always known what he is up to. :lol: The man is a master at working the chicks in that thing!

Here are the pics of the strange pickelhaube characteristic that I encountered on my own Prussian Reservist Officer haube which was bought at the 2013 SOS:

Here are the pics of the strange pickelhaube characteristic that I encountered on my own Prussian Reservist Officer haube which was bought at the 2013 SOS

Two small brass nails put into both ends of the rear visor. I know you can't see the left one in the underside pic but there are 2. There is no evidence of the usual double stitching at the ends of the visor. They simple finished the stitch line and nailed each end. Never seen that before! :eek:

Back