Prussia - Chinstrap or Chinscales on the helmet for parades or in the garrison?

Sandmann

Dear fellow collectors,
since we have just seen in the other post that there are still some different opinions on this subject, I would like to collect original sources on this topic to clarify whether the rule to put on the chinscales for parades and service in the garrison also valid in Prussia.

When the chinstrap was introduced in 1887, the Bavarian's cabinet order clearly stated that the chinscales should continue to be worn in times of peace, which means that the chinstrap should be worn only on field service:
image3.jpeg
(Source: Translated transcript: Ordinance sheet of the Royal Bavarian Ministry of War (1887))

Similar was also stated in the Hessian cab.-order from october 22, 1887:
image5.jpeg
(Source: Grand Ducal Hessian Military Ordinance Sheet 1887)

However, this is not mentioned in the Prussian cab.-order. Even in the book “Beschreibung der Infanterie-Ausrüstung M/87” published by the War Ministry, there is not a word written about it.
image13.jpeg
(Source: Royal Prussian Army Ordinance Sheet, 1887 with translation)

Unfortunately I couldn't find the Wurttemberg cab.-order in the Wurttemberg Military Ordinance sheet. I could only find an order dated January 10, 1888, which referenced the cab.-order dated May 30, 1887. However, there was no reference to the rule.
image14.jpeg
(Source: Royal Wurttemberg Military Ordinance Sheet, 1888)

The clothing regulations of the respective countries prove that the different requirements were not a coordination error, as they contain the same wording.

Excerpt from the Bavarian clothing regulations for EM from 1904:
image12.jpeg

There is no such reference in the Prussian and Saxon clothing regulations either, only for the guards and grenadiers.

Excerpt from the Prussian clothing regulations for EM from 1895:
image6.pngimage7.pngimage8.jpeg

Excerpt from the Saxony clothing regulations for EM from 1893:
image10.pngimage11.jpeg

If anyone knows of sources according to which the regulation also applied to Prussia, I would be very happy if you would add them here, as I thought I once read that the chinstrap was also worn on parades in Prussia. But after a visitor to my website asked me for the source of this statement, I unfortunately couldn’t find it again. And since he showed me several photos of parades in which the infantrymen were clearly wearing a chinstrap, I had to correct my website on this matter. But it would be nice to know where this information comes from or whether it was just a thought due to Bavarian or Hesse regulations.

Attachments

• 1708093669696.png
    1708093669696.png
    581.7 KB · Views: 6
Hi Sandy,
Thank you for your post, very interesting.
According to the Prussian 1903 Bekleidungsordnung, Beilage 1., most of the infantry regiments no longer have chinscales specified, which I interpret as that they can't wear any, ever ;)
Regards,
Lars

Back