regiment steins

I agree with the comments above. There are hundreds of Steins available in the US at any given time. Websites, shows, and auctions. IMO, lots of reasons them being less popular: modern collectors, lack of knowledge about pre-WWI history, few can read German, space, etc.

I have several dozen but only collect those pertaining to Garde units, shooting matches, and shooting awards.

Attachments

• 20210904_103443.jpg
    20210904_103443.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 20
I agree with the comments above. There are hundreds of Steins available in the US at any given time. Websites, shows, and auctions. IMO, lots of reasons them being less popular: modern collectors, lack of knowledge about pre-WWI history, few can read German, space, etc.

I have several dozen but only collect those pertaining to Garde units, shooting matches, and shooting awards.
Nice rifle!

These jugs used to be part of my collection. I sold them due to lack of space. Thank God. The price of reserve tankards has fallen a lot. Nobody wants to collect them anymore. The old collectors are dying and the young collectors are not interested in them. The last 2 jugs are from my family. My father's uncle.They both served in the Bavarian Jaegers

Yes, the prices on most of these line regiment reservist steins has fallen dramatically in recent years, with the exception of the handful of rare to find ones such as Naval, Garde du Corps, Garde Hussaren, Garde Ulan, Garde Jaeger, Railway, and Machine Gun Battalion, etcetera, which seem to keep their value or actually increase in price in some cases.

The last two I had that I ended up selling on eBay did not even bring $200 each. One was even a Hessen regiment, in excellent condition. Pfttttt, needless to say, I will Not be buying any for resale purposes in the future. Shipping them is a real pain in the rear as well, with the constant fear that they may be broken while in transit, no matter how well one packs a stein. Fortunately both of my sold examples were received by the buyers with no damage to them.

Shipping them is a real pain in the rear as well,
The seller had packed my stein in such a way that the reservist's head was right on the edge of the package, with just one layer of carton on top. The stein received a knock, but rather than shatter the stein, instead the reservist was just tilted back a little bit further (it already was when I bought it). I was just very happy the stein hadn't broken, and bend the reservist somewhat back to vertical until I could see tiny cracks forming behind the reservist in the pewter of the lid (a nerve-wrecking experience, with the pewter "screaming" while I did it :)).

The seller had packed my stein in such a way that the reservist's head was right on the edge of the package, with just one layer of carton on top. The stein received a knock, but rather than shatter the stein, instead the reservist was just tilted back a little bit further (it already was when I bought it). I was just very happy the stein hadn't broken, and bend the reservist somewhat back to vertical until I could see tiny cracks forming behind the reservist in the pewter of the lid (a nerve-wrecking experience, with the pewter "screaming" while I did it :)).
Brave Man !
Steve

Back