V Jung of Suhl Sword

dowhaniuk

Hello, I found this sword in my grandfather's trunk. He fought in WW1 and WW11 for Canada.
Does anyone know the year of the sword? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4297.jpg
    IMG_4297.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4298.jpg
    IMG_4298.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4299.jpg
    IMG_4299.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4300.jpg
    IMG_4300.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 25
Hi,
Congratulations, that’s a very nice German sidearm, and even nicer when related to your grandfather’s service.
The original year of acceptance of the blade is 1871 (“71”) and the sidearm has been stamped by F.A.R. 22 (field artillery regiment 22).
I think it is a model modified for the artillery, but I don’t know any details.
Regards,
Lars

Weitze has one for sale at 400 euros, so it’s probably worth a little bit less 😉
Regards,
Lars

Weitze has one for sale at 400 euros, so it’s probably worth a little bit less 😉
Regards,
Lars
Hi Lars,

Yes, mine would be less because Weitze's is in better condition. I really appreciate you finding this. The stitching is a little torn and a few other things need fixing. Since I don't want to lose any of the value by cleaning it myself I might try finding someone who can restore it. Thanks again.,

I wouldn’t do anything to it, removing the patina (like it has been done with Weitze’s shiny example) or “fixing” it typically reduces the value, collectors tend to want it as original as possible. My comment about the value is only due to the fact that Weitze is a dealer, with prices often a little above market value.
Regards,
Lars

I wouldn’t do anything to it, removing the patina (like it has been done with Weitze’s shiny example) or “fixing” it typically reduces the value, collectors tend to want it as original as possible. My comment about the value is only due to the fact that Weitze is a dealer, with prices often a little above market value.
Regards,
Lars
I agree with you, better to keep it as is.

Regards,
Lars
Hi Lars, Once again, I want to thank you for all your advice. I will not do anything to it.
Wishing you all the best in 2024.

Back