What are common red flags in fake pickelhaubes

WT123

Hello I am new to collecting and I came across a pickelhaubes in a shop, I did not buy it because I lacked the funds at the time, however I want to know common signs of a pickelhaube being fake for next time I find one.

I am new to this I am studying history in my senior years in highschool I would love just general info of both reproductions and Frankenstein (pieced together pickelhaubes)

A good indication of fake helmets is a lack of detail in the metal work especially on the wappens (front plates), and the leather and liners will look brand new and often times the liners will look puffy compared to work 100+ year old helmets. I honestly have yet to see a fake helmet that looks even remotely good. As far as pieced together helmets you will need to learn the details of the individual helmet specifications such as the differences between officers, one year volunteers, NCOs and enlisted men. Do you happen to have photos of the helmet you saw in the shop? Or any idea as to what kind it is?

Unfortunately I did not get a picture however I suspect it was a Frankenstein because the side posts were different colors one was white and one was red, I have the owners phone number I will ask for some pictures Tomorrow

Unfortunately I did not get a picture however I suspect it was a Frankenstein because the side posts were different colors one was white and one was red, I have the owners phone number I will ask for some pictures Tomorrow
It sounds like someone painted it. The chinstrap lugs are typically either brass for M95 helmets, Grey for M15 helmets or silver for certain units that had silver fittings.

Hi, best way to learn is post pictures and ask questions here before you buy.

Also as a high school student you are probably bored of hearing people tell you to put the work in to get results ! However , the best way is to study the threads here and maybe buy an entry level reference book on helmets to get you started.

If you can visit a militaria fair sometime you will get the chance to handle some originals (hopefully) nothing like having the piece in hand to spot the differences,

hope that helps.
cheers
Tony

I think the most common fake you’ll find are aged reproductions from India. Though the wappen is definitely the easiest way to tell a helmet is completely fake, you can also use the shape of the spike. Reproductions never get the correct spike shape right.

Some excellent advice here for you WT and welcome to the forum! Us older collectors enjoy helping out the younger generation who are interested in these awesome helmets. I would suggest you visit the Kaiser’s Bunker website and look at all the different models of Pickelhauben and their characteristics. Take a look here on the forum as well at our helmet plate/wappen area so you can see the fine details and quality of real originals. Then go on EBay and compare these with the Indian reproductions. There is a lot to learn here but that is also part of the fun. 👍

A good indication of fake helmets is a lack of detail in the metal work especially on the wappens (front plates), and the leather and liners will look brand new and often times the liners will look puffy compared to work 100+ year old helmets. I honestly have yet to see a fake helmet that looks even remotely good. As far as pieced together helmets you will need to learn the details of the individual helmet specifications such as the differences between officers, one year volunteers, NCOs and enlisted men. Do you happen to have photos of the helmet you saw in the shop? Or any idea as to what kind it is?
The owner has sent me some pictures and I think it is a Frankenstein because the side posts are diffrent colours. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Attach0_4.jpg
    Attach0_4.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Attach0_5.jpg
    Attach0_5.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Attach0_3.jpg
    Attach0_3.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Attach0.jpg
    Attach0.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Attach0_1.jpg
    Attach0_1.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 55
Thank you, guys, so much for the advice so much I will try my best to learn how to spot replicas and frankensteins.

Glad you checked here first. the plate may have some mileage as its for IR94 by the look of things but you'd have to take it off the helmet to check the back to see if it's ok. wait for another to come along !

cheers

Tony

Back