What are common red flags in fake pickelhaubes

Most of the metal work doesn't look too bad actually, if those it could actually be worth buying for the parts.

I have a different opinion than most stated here: This is an older helmet with high dome shape, bolt on chin scales and heavy gauged leather. The spike with pearl ring matches these characteristics. The Fuerst JR 94 Wappen is rare and looks original to me, this alone would be worth over $500US. The bolt on scales are thick and proper for a helmet of this age. Yes, the kokarden don't belong and have been repainted along with the rosettes. However, this could be fixed easily. The liner is completely "fake" and it appears that the interior has black paint for some reason. At the same time we see thick cast brass nuts on the spike base brads which again are proper for an older helmet. Having consulted "The Kaisers Bunker" resource, I believe that this is a model 1867 which did not have a rear spine as we see here. One could be much more decisive in judging this if you had it in hand. However, in my opinion, there are many positives about this helmet and I would not describe it as a fake or Frankenstein piece.

To clarify WT: This is an older helmet probably a model 1867 with a rare helmet plate on it worn by only one regiment in the entire German army. This regiment, JR 94 (Infantry Regt.) comes from the small Saxon Duchy of Saxe Weimar. The regiment was created in 1762 and was part of the XI Army Korps. The original liner is gone and some pieces have been painted but that can be removed. Consequently, you might want to rethink your decision here. The value of the chin scales, wappen and spike are worth more than the quoted price and always offer him a bit less. :)

To clarify WT: This is an older helmet probably a model 1867 with a rare helmet plate on it worn by only one regiment in the entire German army. This regiment, JR 94 (Infantry Regt.) comes from the small Saxon Duchy of Saxe Weimar. The regiment was created in 1762 and was part of the XI Army Korps. The original liner is gone and some pieces have been painted but that can be removed. Consequently, you might want to rethink your decision here. The value of the chin scales, wappen and spike are worth more than the quoted price and always offer him a bit less. :)
Thanks for the information, I am starting to rethink my decision you are awesome

Thanks for the information, I am starting to rethink my decision you are awesome
Getting better pictures of the inside of the shell would definitely help, but for his asking price it's definitely worth taking a better look at.

Back