It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Mexican Haubes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm 

Hello Gentelmen, Im a mexican collector of imperial helmets, and up to now been a visitor to your site; besides my german haubes I have gathered some examples of the german manufactured mexican pickelhaubes from 1907 to 1910. I share some of them with you. I appreciate the expertisse of the members of this forum, and im glad to join you.

Attachments:
File comment: From left; president Aide de Camp, general, general of the war ministry staff, and general half dress
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 6480 times ]

Post subject: Re: The Mexican Haubes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:41 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I love the Mexican wappen. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:41 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I love the Mexican wappen. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:33 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Love it too!
Love whole the history in fact, very tight to the Belgian history at the time.
Sadly the only items I have bearing the Mexican wappen are on butons.
cheers
|<ris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:26 am 

Welcome Henry :thumb up:

the facts that are interesting in history, but the questions and their
answers - and these can never be fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:42 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Gorgeous! These are right up my alley! Please tell us about each of them...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:23 pm 

Great looking helmets, welcome to the forum!

James

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:50 pm 

Thank you for your welcome; there where only six types of haubes in the mexican army before the revolution of 1910. General helmet in gilt equal to the prussian equivalent; general staff in white, both with square front peak, cruciform base and fluted spikes. Officers wore the round peak and base, but mounted officers was white, white foot officers gilt.

The really different ones, and rarer (only 15 made) where the presidential aides; those where equal to a general helmet, but made of high nickel metal, the difference is that they had the normal officer spikes and white yak Bush, on fluted support. This 15 helmets were a beauty and I show you some details on them.

Finally there was a cuirassier lobstertail helmet worn by the president lieb demi regiment, but there are some differences in shape and quality with their German equivalents.

Attachments:
File comment: President Aide de Camp
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 6393 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:03 pm 

Lieb demi regiment, aide de camp, aide de camp full dress

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.86 MiB | Viewed 6387 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:21 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Wonderful!

Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:00 pm 

That is some great stuff.

Do you ever see any Mexican sun helmets? I know that the Mexicans used French made and later surplus American sun/pith helmets. I've been trying to track down any that might still exist!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:33 pm 

Hi Peter, first and only mention of a sun helmet in the mexican army appears in the 1906 uniform regulations, the same that established the pickelhaubes. It appears to be a british pattern sun helmet. As you mention during the revolution of 1910-1920 many combatantes used french sun helmets -including Pancho Villa-, and later american helmets.
Unfortunately i never seen one that can be undoubtely be tracked to these early period.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1003.49 KiB | Viewed 6336 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome Henry, that is a great collection! I also love that Mexican wappen!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:33 pm 

German and Mexican merchant families had been intermarrying throughout the 19th century to build commercial monopolies between the two countries. German archaeologists are credited with founding the field of study of ancient Mesoamerica. Here is the former Boker department store on Calle Isabel la Católica in Mexico City. Note the Hamburg style architecture with an Imperial Overseas Eagle paired with the Mexican Eagle. By the beginning of the 20th century these partnerships were becoming officially sanctioned by the German government as militarists like Reyes and Huerta shifted government arms purchases to German companies. By 1903, the government had purchased 78,000 mauser rifles. The adoption of the pickelhaube was a direct reflection of this new fascination with German economic, military, scientific and political culture in Mexico.

Attachments:
Boker 2.jpg
Boker 2.jpg [ 263.78 KiB | Viewed 6043 times ]
Boker1.jpg
Boker1.jpg [ 245.21 KiB | Viewed 6043 times ]

Last edited by Nacuaa on Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:46 pm 

I recently had a chance to visit the INAH regional museum in the City of Puebla where several helmets are displayed but what caught my eye was the plumed helmet which I assumed as some sort of command rank version of the Aide de Camp helmet that Henry posted. On closer inspection it seems to have an elongated and trimmed rear visor like a shortened version of a kurassier helmet. I was unfamiliar with the Lieb demi regiment helmet Henry posted nor had I heard of this unit. Do you have any more information on this unit Henry? How large was it and what uniforms they wore. Could you post some more photos of that helmet? Thank you very much. John

Attachments:
Mexican Helmet.jpg
Mexican Helmet.jpg [ 522.82 KiB | Viewed 6036 times ]
Visor Detail2a.jpg
Visor Detail2a.jpg [ 1019.2 KiB | Viewed 6041 times ]
Mexican Helmets.jpg
Mexican Helmets.jpg [ 351.98 KiB | Viewed 6041 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:40 pm 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

They called it "the Sears of Mexico" in this book...

http://books.google.com/books?id=zj47Ky ... er&f=false

Nacuaa wrote:
German and Mexican merchant families had been intermarrying throughout the 19th century to build commercial monopolies between the two countries. German archaeologists are credited with founding the field of study of ancient Mesoamerica. Here is the former Boker department store on Calle Isabel la Católica in Mexico City. Note the Hamburg style architecture with an Imperial Overseas Eagle paired with the Mexican Eagle. By the beginning of the 20th century these partnerships were becoming officially sanctioned by the German government as militarists like Reyes and Huerta shifted government arms purchases to German companies. The adoption of the pickelhaube was a direct reflection of this new fascination with German economic, military, scientific and political culture in Mexico.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:27 am 
Elite Member
Elite Member

WELCOME and Beautiful Helmets!

I have a distant relative, an architect, living in Mexico Santiago Aspe Poniatowski. (one of the nice things about facebook is finding lost relatives!)

:D Ron

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:06 pm 

I should introduce myself. I'm John and I have never participated in an on-line project like this before. I have been following the site closely this past year as I am slowly working on a Mexican pickelhaube restoration project and found the discussions of how to reshape the leather korpus fascinating and have been experimenting with the different techniques on an old fire helmet korpus. I am a university professor in Mexican archaeology and history but had a passion for collecting pickelhaubes as a youth. So the idea of studying a combination of Aztec and Prussian sensibilities in military heraldry has become obsessive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:26 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Nacuaa wrote:
I should introduce myself. I'm John and I have never participated in an on-line project like this before. I have been following the site closely this past year as I am slowly working on a Mexican pickelhaube restoration project and found the discussions of how to reshape the leather korpus fascinating and have been experimenting with the different techniques on an old fire helmet korpus. I am a university professor in Mexican archaeology and history but had a passion for collecting pickelhaubes as a youth. So the idea of studying a combination of Aztec and Prussian sensibilities in military heraldry has become obsessive.

Welcome! Sounds fascinating. I've only ever been to Chichen Itza, as far as Mexican archeological sites go, which I found quite interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome John, it is great to have both you and Henry join us from Mexico! Any new restoration techniques....please post them in the "Restoration" section on the forum. I have learned a great deal from this thread. I was unaware of the close connection between Mexico and Germany at one time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:55 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Thought I would add some pics of my Mexican General's haube to this thread- its one of my favourites!

Attachments:
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG [ 353.96 KiB | Viewed 5753 times ]
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG [ 266.18 KiB | Viewed 5753 times ]
IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG [ 325.91 KiB | Viewed 5753 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:02 pm 

Arran- that is a very cool helmet.

James

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Excellent helme....mint condition!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:49 pm 

This is a beautiful helmet in amazing condition. These are so rare because the men who wore them went on to become commanders in the Revolution (1910-1920) supporting various political factions but because these helmets were so closely associated with the Porfiriato, they were discarded. Mexican military academy cadets continue to wear the uniform for parade but with a shako.

Last edited by Nacuaa on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:51 pm 

poniatowski wrote:
WELCOME and Beautiful Helmets!

I have a distant relative, an architect, living in Mexico Santiago Aspe Poniatowski. (one of the nice things about facebook is finding lost relatives!)

Here are some photos of the international representatives who attended the 1910 Independence Centennial in Mexico City. Note the large numbers of German officers including an uhlan and a hussar. We should be able to figure out who they were. Maybe someone out there recognizes the other uniforms? A naval contingent also appeared. This alarmed the United States but the government should have been aware of what was going on when Porforio Díaz showed up accompanied by his new Prussian-style body guard for his meeting in El Paso Texas with President Taft three years earlier.

Attachments:
1910 Celebrations.jpg
1910 Celebrations.jpg [ 758.8 KiB | Viewed 5636 times ]
1910 Celebrations2.jpg
1910 Celebrations2.jpg [ 108.52 KiB | Viewed 5636 times ]
German Naval.jpg
German Naval.jpg [ 1.82 MiB | Viewed 5636 times ]
Presidential Guard.jpg
Presidential Guard.jpg [ 98.86 KiB | Viewed 5666 times ]
El Paso 1907.jpg
El Paso 1907.jpg [ 27.46 KiB | Viewed 5667 times ]

Last edited by Nacuaa on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:05 pm 

I once joked that I wanted to open a restaurant and call it "Maximillian's Mexico: Home of the Sauerkraut Tacos." Perhaps that wouldn't exactly take off.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:19 pm 

henry1 wrote:
Hi Peter, first and only mention of a sun helmet in the mexican army appears in the 1906 uniform regulations, the same that established the pickelhaubes. It appears to be a british pattern sun helmet. As you mention during the revolution of 1910-1920 many combatantes used french sun helmets -including Pancho Villa-, and later american helmets.
Unfortunately i never seen one that can be undoubtely be tracked to these early period.

Peter and Henry, I purchased this many years ago. Its an American helmet fitted with a Mexican rosette with a bluish-green piece of fabric in the center. I let it go during the great recession and its now back in Mexico.

Attachments:
Mex3a.jpg
Mex3a.jpg [ 249.06 KiB | Viewed 5661 times ]
Mex1.jpg
Mex1.jpg [ 332.16 KiB | Viewed 5661 times ]

Last edited by Nacuaa on Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:23 pm 

b.loree wrote:
Welcome Henry, that is a great collection! I also love that Mexican wappen!

Here's the wappen fully extended. Its beautifully executed. The design invokes a Prussian guard plate to some extent, but I like to think that there's some inspiration from the German Imperial Marine plate here as well. The eagle holds a serpent in its mouth and stands on a nopal cactus that grew miraculously from solid volcanic rock. It was the symbol of the founding of Aztec Tenochtitlan or today's Mexico City in 1325. It came into use as the symbol of the Mexican nation shortly after independence from Spain during the 1820's when Mexico began to affect the Aztec heritage as the official identity of the nation. Porfirio Diaz enthusiastically began to promote the ancient heritage in his nation building efforts by sponsoring the excavations of the great pyramids of Teotithuacan at the same time that he was holding these celebratory pageants in Mexico City itself. Here's an Aztec monument that is one of Mexico's most treasured antiquities as it verifies the use of the eagle in the nopal cactus by the Aztecs themselves and may have served as a throne for Motecuhzoma. Díaz founded Mexico's National Museum of Anthropology. He was a brilliant promoter with an outstanding design team that even the Kaiser not to mention two later 20th century German and Italian autocrats might envy. The palace guards appear to be wearing the President Aide de Camp helmet that Henry posted.

Attachments:
National Palace 1910.jpg
National Palace 1910.jpg [ 2.14 MiB | Viewed 5650 times ]
Moteuchzoma Throne1a.jpg
Moteuchzoma Throne1a.jpg [ 94.74 KiB | Viewed 5650 times ]
Mex Eagle 1.jpg
Mex Eagle 1.jpg [ 751.15 KiB | Viewed 5661 times ]

Last edited by Nacuaa on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:36 pm 

henry1 wrote:
Lieb demi regiment, aide de camp, aide de camp full dress

Hi Henry, Any chance of seeing some more views of the Lieb demi regiment helmet? Thanks, John

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:29 pm 

Nacuaa wrote:
henry1 wrote:

Peter and Henry, I purchased this many years ago. Its an American helmet fitted with a Mexican rosette with a bluish-green piece of fabric in the center. I let it go during the great recession and its now back in Mexico.

That is a fascinating piece. The cockade does look correct.

The problem with these - similar to many helmets - is that it is too easy to add a cockade to a helmet and claim it is original. The helmet is $200 on a good day and the cockade might be $100. But together I could see a dealer offering the helmet for $2000 claiming it to be really rare, and how would you ever know?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:46 pm 

Peter_Suciu wrote:
Nacuaa wrote:
henry1 wrote:

That is a fascinating piece. The cockade does look correct.

The problem with these - similar to many helmets - is that it is too easy to add a cockade to a helmet and claim it is original. The helmet is $200 on a good day and the cockade might be $100. But together I could see a dealer offering the helmet for $2000 claiming it to be really rare, and how would you ever know?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:50 pm 

Peter_Suciu wrote:
I once joked that I wanted to open a restaurant and call it "Maximillian's Mexico: Home of the Sauerkraut Tacos." Perhaps that wouldn't exactly take off.

I'll give it a try and get back to you on that.

I purchased the helmet in Oaxaca, Mexico and paid quite a lot for it but it had no certification. This is why Henry says he has never seen a tropical helmet that can be positively attributed. You would need some form of documentation from the officer's descendants for example and the Revolution was just so devastating that items like this would not survive field combat long nor were they kept around much as remembrances. This too was associated with the Porfiriato and most officers began to affect the field cap or a fashionable western stetson style after the initial months of the conflict.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:07 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Henry and John,
Thanks for your posts. I really enjoyed reading through this discussion thread. I was not aware that there was the 1906 Mexican uniform regulations were published and available. It would be wonderful to see additional pages relevant to pickelhaubes. My previous understanding was that Mexican picklehaubes had not been documented, and at any rate were irregular in their configuration and use. Not so!
Here’s a photo of a helmet that my father bought in a flea market in Mexico City. He lived there briefly in 1958. He said that the seller had two pickelhaubes. He bought the one he liked best, but afterwards regretted not buying both.
My understanding is that this particular piece would have been used by a cavalry officer, but not a general as might be suggested by the feather plume. It looks like the twin of the one in the top right side of the “Mexican Helmets” photo in John’s (Nacuaa) post. It also looks like a match with the image of the mounted Lieutenant Colonel.
Mark D.

Nacuaa wrote:
I recently had a chance to visit the INAH regional museum in the City of Puebla where several helmets are displayed but what caught my eye was the plumed helmet which I assumed as some sort of command rank version of the Aide de Camp helmet that Henry posted. On closer inspection it seems to have an elongated and trimmed rear visor like a shortened version of a kurassier helmet. I was unfamiliar with the Lieb demi regiment helmet Henry posted nor had I heard of this unit. Do you have any more information on this unit Henry? How large was it and what uniforms they wore. Could you post some more photos of that helmet? Thank you very much. John

Attachments:
MexPic_Front Plate.jpg
MexPic_Front Plate.jpg [ 456.94 KiB | Viewed 5504 times ]
MexPic_3QtrsR.jpg
MexPic_3QtrsR.jpg [ 268.46 KiB | Viewed 5504 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:32 pm 

That is an absolutely beautiful helmet Mark! My very favorite. The silver trim is especially attractive. As far as I know, the 1906 regulations were only issued as a now extremely rare publication in which each uniform was printed on a separate card and preserved in a blue cardboard folder. Below appear all the uniforms to be worn with the pickelhaube. However, not all helmets are depicted as you can see from Henry's post of the three metal elite helmets. The use of feathers on helmets is not entirely documented as well. For example, the Puebla museum helmet appears to be the dress helmet of a President's aide that Henry posted, the one on the right of his three. However it sports a white feather plume which I have never seen in photographs, only the white yak or horse hair. Mark, to me your helmet looks like that worn by the Cavalry Colonel in Gala Dress according to the illustration. However, I wonder then, with the German army for comparison, if these helmets may have been worn by generals serving "a la suite" as colonels with bodyguard, cavalry, and other regiments as well? Either way that is a very rare helmet. Both Henry and Arran have posted helmets with black plumes, cruciform spike bases, fluted spike and square visors that Henry identifies as a general in half-dress helmet even though generals are only shown wearing white feather plumes in the 1906 illustrations. On the other hand, I note that the uniform regulations do show a helmet with a black feather plume labeled "chiefs and officials" which refer to individuals holding political appointments with military rank? Interpretation depends on how we translate jefes and officiales. Does that mean generals? The army at large was still issued with the French style shako at this time with a plan for phasing in the pickelhaube for general issue within ten years. This never happened because of the outbreak of the Revolution.

Attachments:
Uniforms 1.jpg
Uniforms 1.jpg [ 905.87 KiB | Viewed 5432 times ]
Uniforms 4.jpg
Uniforms 4.jpg [ 831.52 KiB | Viewed 5437 times ]
Uniforms 3.jpg
Uniforms 3.jpg [ 839.39 KiB | Viewed 5437 times ]
Uniforms 2.jpg
Uniforms 2.jpg [ 789.23 KiB | Viewed 5437 times ]
Uniforms 7a.jpg
Uniforms 7a.jpg [ 147.82 KiB | Viewed 5437 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:35 pm 

Now that Henry, Arran, and Mark have got me going on this, I can’t stop researching because I never had anyone to bounce any ideas off of before. On the left are two helmets on display at the National History Museum in Chapultepec Park in Mexico City. They have the gilt-brass fittings shared by both Prussian and Mexican generals following the identifications posted here by Henry and Arran. On the right, is a standard officer’s helmet with gilt brass fittings with round spike base and round visor from the Puebla Museum of History. However it has a feather plume that we would normally associate with the rank of general, while officers would ordinarily wear a black yak hair plume. It may be a gala headdress for a regimental colonel therefore. There are other alternate configurations as well. Henry has a general officer’s configuration with silver fittings that he identifies as the helmet of the war ministry staff rather than a cavalry helmet. I have seen helmets with a square visor and fluted spike but with a round base for example. One of two that I know of features a black yak hair plume indicating officer’s rank but not a general. I don’t know exactly what these alternate configurations signify. For example is it possible to distinguish the helmet of an artillery officer from that of an infantry officer through these configurations?

Attachments:
Mexican Helmets.jpg
Mexican Helmets.jpg [ 187.03 KiB | Viewed 5413 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:13 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

John, Many thanks for posting the illustrations from Uniformes del Ejercito Mexicano - certainly a rare publication. This is a big help to collectors. It's great to finally get a positive ID on the Mexican cavalry officer's pickelhaube in my father's collection.

For anybody wanting to take a deeper dive into the general subject of pickelhaubes in Latin America, I encourage you to look at the section of "Colonel J's" website:http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/latin_America.html

Mark D.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have learned much as a result of this discussion. I was wondering if someone could post some close up pictures of just the Mexican officer helmet plate , front and back. Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:22 pm 

This is as close as we get in the article – nothing on the back so far.

the facts that are interesting in history, but the questions and their
answers - and these can never be fixed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Joe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:58 pm 

Henry posted three metal helmets attributed to elite troops and officers. The helmet on the left he identifies as belonging to a lieb unit and may be like the one that appeared at auction last year. It can still be viewed at:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/197 ... ard-helmet

Note the heavy bidding.

The 1906 British Army Study of the Mexican Army describes troops that served as an elite unit as well as officers. Since it appears to have brass fittings, this suggests it is the helmet of a trooper. Henry may be able to confirm this theory though.

However, the photos I have posted show a troop of the Presidential Guard all wearing what appears to be the helmet on the right in Henry's collection with the shorter rear visor and the yak hair plume. So the lieb helmet and the auction helmet are still a bit mysterious. If they are the same, then maybe they were adopted later.

The helmet in the middle appears in many photos of the president attending public affairs. In the accompanying photo, several of the officers appear in the metal pickelhaube without the plume. You can see in Henry's side view that the helmet appears to be a metal version of the leather pickelhaube without the extended rear visor.

By the way, Tomislaw of Spikedhelmets Company has just produced a Mexican Plate in both Brass and Gilt. Its a facsimile copied from an authenticated original and very detailed. Originals are very expensive and many pickelhaube collectors still love the look of the plate whether they collect Mexican pickehaubes or not.

http://spikehelmets.pl/gallery/helmet-p ... 25/92.html

Attachments:
Pickelhaube Spike Helmet  Prusiano Mexico 1.jpg
Pickelhaube Spike Helmet Prusiano Mexico 1.jpg [ 111.36 KiB | Viewed 5270 times ]
file-2.jpg
file-2.jpg [ 1.86 MiB | Viewed 5271 times ]
375742349_o.jpg
375742349_o.jpg [ 69.67 KiB | Viewed 5271 times ]
375742423_o.jpg
375742423_o.jpg [ 51.34 KiB | Viewed 5271 times ]
Report.JPG
Report.JPG [ 172.11 KiB | Viewed 5271 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:39 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Great thread, I wish I could add to it but instead I'm just learning lots...

Cheers
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:10 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I came across this photo on the web. Clearly the spike top is incorrect, but the plate appears to be a different design of Mexican wappen- has anyone seen such a helmet before, and is this variation identified?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:18 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

They just used an American pith helmet spike and used it on a Mex helm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:36 pm 

Arran wrote:
I came across this photo on the web. Clearly the spike top is incorrect, but the plate appears to be a different design of Mexican wappen- has anyone seen such a helmet before, and is this variation identified?

I took that photo. The helmet is in the Arizona Military Museum, but they didn't have a lot of history on the helmet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:27 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Ah! A lead, at least...do you have any other pics of it?

Thanks,
Arran.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 pm 

Arran wrote:
Ah! A lead, at least...do you have any other pics of it?

Sorry, only one I took. But I can confirm it is at the Arizona Military Museum in Phoenix.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 am 

I have stared at that Arizona plate on line for some time. i have not come across it in any museum collections in Mexico so we would need the assistance of a Mexican collector like Henry who founded this discussion with his collection I guess. It does not appear in any published official uniform regulations I have examined nor does it appear to be very "French" who had been supplying shako plates to the Mexican army for decades. I suspect the plate is a "pickelhaube" plate however. One of these turned up on Ebay about two years or more ago. It sold for about $250.00 as I recall. I have pictures of front and back but I don't see where to upload them on this message.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:21 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Nacuaa wrote:
......have pictures of front and back but I don't see where to upload them on this message.

Hello,
you can't.
Go to any external photo hosting service and post the link.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:49 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

There is also a pic of this type of helmet in the old C.E. Juncker catalogue...I'd love to see pics of the e-bay plate!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:58 pm 

I posted the URL and the Photobucket logo comes up. Is this working?

The fact that the helmet (with a small spike?) appears in the catalog suggests that someone ordered it for Mexican use. What type of plate appears in the catalog?

Is there a copy of the catalog on line for download or is any member sharing the catalog digitally so that I could acquire a copy. If Juncker is still selling in 1932 they may be supplying the Mexican army right up to that time. So maybe a later version of the pickelhaube.

The plate may have been designed for a shako before the revolution, but it is just too ornate for issue in the late period and makes more sense to me as a pickelhaube plate from the overall configuration.

Last edited by Nacuaa on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.