It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Photobucket
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:43 pm 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

aicusv wrote:
Actually this move by PB does provide an opportunity, purchase a Plus 500 Plan and then sell GB on it to those who don't want to buy the whole thing.

Brilliant idea, but I'm sure that they would catch on and eventually charge the "owner" $40,000 a year to maintain it. I don't think anyone will trust photobucket again.

John

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:31 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Peter_Suciu wrote:
Finally, I think forum owners should talk to Photobucket about providing a way for all the images on a forum to be hosted at $400 a year. That would probably be a cheaper option for Pickelhaubes.com. Not for EACH of us to pay $400, but for the forum. Look at this way, if there are 100 members that would cost us $4 each a year.

Here is the Plus 500 Plan: 502 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting. I seriously doubt this forum uses even 20 GB of storage right now. 502 GB would give us enough space for another decade!

It sounds like the perfect solution to me, Peter. With one username — "pickelhaubes," for example — and a shared password for the entire forum, all our photos could be hosted ad free under a single Photobucket subscription. Each of us could create our own album within the shared library to keep things easy to manage. Your idea is brilliant. As stated previously, I think it would be a wise idea to review the profiles of forum members. Those who have not posted for a lengthy period, or never posted at all, should be culled. I would be more concerned about forum/Photobucket privacy and security than anyone hitching a free ride. Imagine the harm that could be done should the wrong person have access to the Photobucket password. Trust and individual integrity will be the key to it working.

Should this sound too egalitarian, Brian need only share the password with those who contribute to the annual Photobucket subscription fee.

I made a contribution to the forum server fees on Friday. If Brian decides to run with your idea, 1/4 of a Plus 500 annual plan is already covered.

Kudos!

Chas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:51 pm 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Think it's time to put in my two cents.

It's a nasty move from PB (I'm using flickr myself), but I would be really sorry to see this forum change into the "select few welcome only" type forum that there are so many of already.

I very much enjoy the tone and respect displayed here, and I'm on the forum almost every day.

I have contributed financially a few times, but as I'm a modest collector (total of 8 OR Pickelhauben, all "normal" regiments) I don't have a lot to show and therefor also have a modest number of posts. I post when I think I can contribute. I enjoy other people's helmets and have tried my hand at helmet restoration inspired by Brian's wonderful work (and shown the results here).

If this forum were to change to a place where only people with great collections and many posts are allowed then that would be a great loss for me.

Best regards,

Lars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:57 pm 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

I agree with you, Lars. When I made my suggestion about culling, it was motivated by what I perceive to be countless "users" with no history of activity on the forum. I do appreciate there can be a silent majority in our midst, but, were we to attempt some sort of shared forum Photobucket subscription, would it be fair for a "Joe Flabeets," who does nothing here, to use the 3rd party hosting to upload images of his sale items to eBay? I do not advocate being exclusionary, but there has to be some measure of control.

Thank you for responding. Your concerns will help inform whatever decisions the administration eventually makes. I'm just a member, like you, and was soliciting help. Perhaps, you can tell me something about how the Flickr service works. I tried my hand at SmugMug, but was unable to get to any "http://img." code to embed.

Thanks,

Chas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:18 pm 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

I'm happy to hear that Chas :D

My yahoo account also allows me to log in on flickr. Apparently I have 1 terabyte available of which I use 0.0%

Once you have uploaded a picture (or a picture someone else uploaded for that matter) and have clicked on it so it is the only picture visible, click on the curved arrow (in the lower right hand corner of the picture, hovering over it shows "Share Photo"), then select "BBCode", select size and the link automatically appears.

Not sure what their business model is so no guarantee that they won't start charging at some later point in time.

Best regards,

Lars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have consulted with my son Logan, who obviously is much more up to date regarding this ongoing issue with PB. As a result of his advice, I have joined Imgur and will be using them to host my pictures in the future. He has told me not to use PB again but to lay low and not use that account. They have not "come for me" as yet perhaps because I am at 60% usage. Thank you Chas and Matt for the recent donations, unfortunately PayPal no longer sends notifications of this to me, so if I do not check into the account, I don't know that there has been money sent. However, I thank you both...Chas and John you each have a made good point....it is truly the contributions made by members such as yourselves and many others..... in photos, posts, advice and countless other things that make this forum what it is. However, that does not pay the bills when they come due. It is what it is, we are collectors of a very obscure piece of History, many know of them but would never think of collecting them. I have taken on the task of hosting this forum and my life has been enriched tenfold as a result.
Obviously, the idea that this site should host everyone's pictures is not realistic and is not going to happen, way too much money involved. This forum was never set up on some sort of business model, which I am sure is very obvious to our business minded members. What I can assure you all, is that I will continue to host it with some help from the membership. We do excellent work gentlemen, we guide young collectors we have saved them thousands of $$. We have exposed "the frakers" and we are known worldwide and that is a tribute to our forum. Regarding other web site forums, I honestly could care less, I have enough to do looking after our forum. This is my focus and as always I wish you well and above all, happy hunting for pickelhauben!! :thumb up: