It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rebuilding a Grenadier Arty
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:39 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Here is my latest project . When I got it , it was missing the front visor trim both visors were detached from the body and the rear visor was broken in two. The dome was completely collapsed with a 4 inch rip that the ball spike was sagging/ falling into.

I didn't think of taking any pics before but I was able to retrieve this one.

Kind of tiny . I will try and take some pics as I progress.

Last edited by pickelhauben on Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a Grenadier Arty
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:20 pm 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Would love to see what you have done, a better photo would help. I know that you some of us (me in particular) photography isn't our thing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:27 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

aicusv wrote:
Would love to see what you have done, a better photo would help. I know that you some of us (me in particular) photography isn't our thing.

Yes you are right. I won this off of ebay a time before I joined the forum . When I started the restoration I did not think of taking any pictures . So when I tried to retrieve pictures off of ebay time expired and the the one I was able to retrieve is the one I used.

But I did use my phone ( I had forgotten ) to take some pictures and sent them to Randy T. to see what he thought . Here they are.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:49 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

When I got the helmet I decided that it was just in too bad of shape until I inspected the inside. Written in pencil was

H DUNBAR
ho 315th (E 15th ?) Engineering Found Nov 1918

After seeing this the helmet was worth rebuilding and I decided not to scrap the dome and using a new dome from a donar helmet.

The first thing I did was super glue the 4 inch tear. I did this by pinching the tear together every half inch or so and spot the glue holding the tear as tight as possible. Onec done I came back with a full bead of glue.

The helmet was so soft and with the collapse that I had to get radical with the use of fiberglass cloth and resin. Shellac or lacquer would not have worked. I managed to make a contraption out of thread rod to block the helmet up using the disc spike base and used a wooden hat shaper to shape and align the dome.

I cut the fiberglass cloth into thin strips starting at the top of the dome and stopping at the visor stich line I went around the helmet laying down the cloth with blackened resin.

The I went back after the first application and filled in the gaps. Then sanded . I went back about 4 times spot hitting it with the black resin filling in the low spots. I need to go one more time and it will be right.

This method was a bit mutch but I am glad I saved the dome. Now some coloring and re stitch the visors I will have a nice display piece using all the original parts.

Now after a little more sanding I will use black shoe dye and go over that with black shoe polish.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:34 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, nice work!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:11 pm 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Thats a helmet with a challence to it cant wait to see the result on it

Jonas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:01 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Good luck! :thumb up:

Looking forward to seeing progressive shots!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:57 pm 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Good luck and keep us informed :D

Best regards,

Edwin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very cool, great job. I look forward to seeing the end result !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:34 am 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Nice helmet goodluck with the restoration :thumb up:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:34 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys for the encouragement .

The reason I went with this radical fix is as I stated before the dome was crushed and extremely soft. Almost like a glove or worn out pair of leather shoes .

It would have collapsed if I would have tried shellac or lacquer .

I am busy with another project not pertaining to pickelhaubes probably through the month of Dec.

I make and build military models and I am working on a 1/18th scale Russian 'Hind ' Helicopter.

I need to finish the prototype and then it will go into production.

Once this is done I will have a chance to get back on this project.

Unless I get a few free days playing hooky .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:59 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

You've really found yourself a fun challenge there! I like the name of the Engineer in it. I also have a vet bring-back that was taken by an engineer, but from the 13th. Interested to see how this progresses. :)

:D Ron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:46 pm 

Very nice work, I never thought that a helmet in that condition could be restored.
Did I noticed right to say that you sanded the helmet surface, if yes what did you use to bring it back to life.
Thanks
Alf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:22 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

dusmif wrote:
Very nice work, I never thought that a helmet in that condition could be restored.
Did I noticed right to say that you sanded the helmet surface, if yes what did you use to bring it back to life.
Thanks
Alf

I used fiber glass cloth and black colored fiber glass resin.

At first I cut the cloth into aprx 3/8 inch strips . After blocking the shell out painted the resin on the shell from top to visor stich line then laid on the cloth . Then I came right back on the cloth painting more of the resin.

Once that had set up I came back and filled in with cut to fit fiber glass cloth to fill in the spaces .

After the second wave of glass went on . Once set I sanded the whole thing. Then went back about 3 times filling in low spots with the resin. Sanded and repeated.

The trick is to sand LIGHTLY USING 80 GRIT sand paper. This step is that your trying to shape not soo much sand. Then come back with 120-180 grit sand paper to smooth everything out. Then wash with denatured alcohol . The sanded area will look gray and the low spots will look black. Then you touch up the low areas ( black ) then sand and repeat.

It took me about a day to get it were it is now . Appling / spot hitting 4 times with the resin.

Last edited by pickelhauben on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:37 pm 

pickelhauben wrote:
dusmif wrote:
Thanks
Alf

I used fiber glass cloth and black colored fiber glass resin.

At first I cut the cloth into aprx 3/3 inch strips . After blocking the shell out painted the resin on the shell from top to visor stich line then laid on the cloth . Then I came right back on the cloth painting more of the resin.

Once that had set up I came back and filled in with cut to fit fiber glass cloth to fill in the spaces .

After the second wave of glass went on . Once set I sanded the whole thing. Then went back about 3 times filling in low spots with the resin. Sanded and repeated.

The trick is to sand LIGHTLY USING 80 GRIT sand paper. This step is that your trying to shape not soo much sand. Then come back with 120-180 grit sand paper to smooth everything out. Then wash with denatured alcohol . The sanded area will look gray and the low spots will look black. Then you touch up the low areas ( black ) then sand and repeat.

It took me about a day to get it were it is now . Appling / spot hitting 4 times with the resin.

Thanks mate, that require a lot of dedication, I must say.
Alf.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:35 am 
Contributor
Contributor

And fibreglass dust itches like hell if it gets onto your skin. I repaired a motorcycle fairing years ago wearing only shorts due to the heat of summer and my thighs itched for about 3 days! (I had the fairing sitting on my lap)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:25 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Well! You answered my question. I was just going to ask if you put some FG cloth in with the resin (could actually see it in the photos when I looked again). The cloth is important because the resin will crack after a while if it's not reenforced.

:D Ron